Buy chocolate now!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
MUST.........HAVE.............CHOCOLATE...............:weee

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I buy my coffee at the big box store. I notice the 3 lb container came down 1 dollar per bucket. I thought the price had been a bit inflated. It was good to see it came down a bit. I bought 6. :D I'm do not want to run out of coffee.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
MsPony said:
My boss gets extremely cranky if she doesn't get chocolate. One time her diet included no chocolate and that was an awful week.

I forsee some bad months coming our way...
so stock up and come in with a big ole bag of Hershey's Kisses...eating them slowly in front of her...put one on her desk...then casually ask for a ridiculous raise for the rest of the bag :lol:

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WHAT!!! NO CHOCOLATE?? COFFEE?? :ep

That means The S*** really has hit the proverbial fan! At our house those two items are a major food group & without them we are all gonna starve. :lol:

eta: This thread should be under 'emergency prepardness' ;)

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ohh SH_T!!!!! I must have Hershey's baking cocoa!!! Tomorrow I will be stocking up. Coffee,...ahhhhh,..no biggie here. We don't drink coffee,..now if COCA-COLA shortages are announced,..we are in trouble!!!! :hide

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
The president of the Ivory Coast has cut off cocoa exports ! Ivory Coast accounts for 40% of the cocoa needed for chocolate.

So if you cook with chocolate or chocolate chips or drink hot chocolate, stock up now before the prices go up in reaction.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703921504576094110234960984.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

From what I understand the exports are not YET cut off, and it's a playing card to oust the incumbent - not a permanent power-play. Chocolate is not forever gone or forever unaffordable.

I think it will be interesting for spoiled Americans that seem to think chocolate is essential for life. :rolleyes: Look at you SS people obsessing!

:lol: :lol:

Really, do you "need" the chocolate? Pending SHTF, is it really that important?

Chocolate is absolutely a luxury. I think it is appropriate that we pay for it as a luxury.

No tin foil hat here, it might have a possitive effect on American diets.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I really don't care one way or another about chocolate or coffee but I feel for those of you who do. Greg's going to Sam's for me this week so I'll make sure he picks up a big bag of choco chips so I can bake some cookies for the kids and put some more in the freezer but if the stuff disappeared from the grocery shelves tomorrow it really wouldn't be a problem for us. I agree that chocolate is something of a luxury only because it's something we can't produce ourselves. Now I do NEED my peanut butter but if push came to shove I could make the stuff, Daddy taught us how when we lived on the farm.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hate coffee so no problem there

chocolate tho :th

well if it goes by the wayside I will just find a new addiction...no biggie for me, plenty to choose from lol

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I think it will be interesting for spoiled Americans that seem to think chocolate is essential for life. :rolleyes: Look at you SS people obsessing!

Really, do you "need" the chocolate? Pending SHTF, is it really that important?

Chocolate is absolutely a luxury. I think it is appropriate that we pay for it as a luxury.

No tin foil hat here, it might have a possitive effect on American diets.
Awwww Tortoise, where's your sense of humor? ;)

Do we really "need" chocolate? Well, in fact, other than water, air, and some food source we don't "need" anything. ;)

I stocked up cuz I found it cheap ... Like I do with anything I expect to use.

I used to think I "needed" it once a month, but mysteriously that need disappears if I eat certain raw nuts. Not sure what I'm missing otherwise, but it levels things out for me and prevents a lot of pain.

And chocolate is a healthful food. I actually don't care for milk chocolate, candy bars, and such. I make most of my own because I prefer pure cocoa with nuts, dried fruits, coconut, etc. In small amounts it is loaded with antioxidants.

It IS kind of interesting though. When the local economy really started to crumble, people spent less on nutrients and herbs, but our chocolate and .... Ahem ... Herbs to boost sexual function ... Both skyrocketed.

So you DO have a point in there. :)