Buying USA Challenge

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Excellent idea, Farmfresh!

I also want to point out that I'm not against buying imported items when it's not available in our country, and I'm not just talking food related stuff. BUT if we can find a USA Made alternative to the China or Indonesia made, etc., then I would rather buy the USA made or grown product even if I need to pay a little higher.
Another good point. I actually "believe" somewhat in globalization for some things. But, for food it makes absolutely no sense except for those things we cannot grow in America. Even then, we really could do without bananas, chocolate and coffee.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
me&thegals said:
Very excellent points, Farmfresh! I like the idea about posting American-made products.

As for war, that's actually one argument FOR globalization. You tend not to go to war with countries from whom you buy necessary goods. I do get your point, though.
I understand that statement, but to what extreme must you go to NOT go to war if you are dependent on other countries for what you need? I for one want to live FREE.

In the same way I want to be Self Sufficient from my own government and others as much as I possibly can - I want my country to be SELF SUFFICIENT and strong. That way WE are in control of what we do and who we play with. We are not controlled by our basic needs.

If we are no longer a producing country, a country of industry, we lose MUCH more than jobs ... we lose our freedom.
I agree. I'm just saying that rather than losing sources of food by warring with the countries who produce it, our country seems to keep our sources of food and fuel in mind when having foreign relations.

me&thegals

Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Coffee grown in Hawai'i. Didn't know that.
I think Mexico produces coffee, too, which would be closer for most of us (all of us?) than Hawaii. We can also look to our neighbor to the north for some of our products. Rather than thinking strictly of state or national lines, I would rather think of general proximity. Here in WI, Canada is pretty darn close :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I do not want to be an isolationist. We NEED trade with the world. I NEED chocolate! :p :D

I am just saying I want us to be secure in the things we really NEED. Our basic supplies. Our food, clothes and machines that we use. If the USA is self sufficient in those basic things ... THEN we can trade away for the fun stuff made around the world.

I just don't want to be caught without a place that makes socks in the US and find out some day we REALLY NEED some good socks and can't make any without re-building an entire factory first.

me&thegals

Reaction score
I was just thinking this same thing--only with more personal undergarments! It would give new meaning to "being caught with your pants down" or "letting it all hang out." :D

Or how about toilet paper? Wouldn't it be incredible to go to war with a county who manufactures ALL our toilet paper? Yikes!

I have to say, though, that it would be the loss of chocolate and black tea that would completely put me over the edge.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Remember that whole tea thing caused a big "party" back in the day when we went to war. That is also why a lot of you are drinking coffee!

Still it is far easier to give up something like chocolate than it is an essential like those "drawers" you are a mentioning! :p :lol:

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
"Another good point. I actually "believe" somewhat in globalization for some things. But, for food it makes absolutely no sense except for those things we cannot grow in America. Even then, we really could do without bananas, chocolate and coffee."

---Bananas grow very well in Fla and there are dwarf varieties for growing in a pot. Bring indoors before freezes. Coffee plants can grow in a greenhouse. If anybody knows a way to grow cocao- tell me. If I can't produce it then I'll just get the really good stuff "Green & Black 70 %", once in a while.

" I am just saying I want us to be secure in the things we really NEED. Our basic supplies. Our food, clothes and machines that we use. If the USA is self sufficient in those basic things ... I was just thinking this same thing--only with more personal undergarments! It would give new meaning to "being caught with your pants down" or "letting it all hang out." big_smile"

Maggies makes organic cotton or wool socks. Not sure about undies ( scratching head, wondering).

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Or how about toilet paper? Wouldn't it be incredible to go to war with a county who manufactures ALL our toilet paper? Yikes!
Well, that might well be in the near future! I was in a high-end store restroom that dispenses the tiny 3" wide toilet paper. If it goes much smaller than this I'll lead the charge! ;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Another thing I would really love to be able to grow myself is black pepper.

Anyone know how to do that one in Missouri? :/

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Unfortunately catch words like "globalization" usually mean that people who want to make the biggest profits go anywhere they want for cheaper labor and raw materials. These people usually have the money to lobby for a tariff and tax free environment for themselves.
Sometimes that can mean an increase in the standard of living for some countries but each of those countries sooner or later becomes "too expensive" and the employer goes hunting for even cheaper.
The world is not an unlimited resource- only so much "wealth" can be spread around. With increasing populations, wealth must be spread thinner and thinner as it is. You can only raise the standard of living with the resources to invest in it.
I simply would prefer that my fellow citizens have access to good paying jobs before my money goes to others. People who work for living usually have a better idea of the value of their wages and make better choices. A working population with a decent living wage means stability.
Wanting this for your own country does not mean you are an isolationist. Just that we stand together and if you let your neighbor fall, you stand a good chance of following.
I appreciate a good work ethic more than an acquisitive nature.