Cannabis as medicine for real, anyone?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I think a lot of people would not turn to things like medical mj if their pain management wasn't so horrible in the first place. Doctors UNDERMEDICATE to avoid problems with the DEA.
Yes, we can medicate people adequately for pain if the doctor knows what their doing but for chronic long term pain the narcotics available are much more destructive than medical marijauna. If you want to maintain better productivity and independence and avoid narcotic addiction medical marijuana is the best choice.

Some people who use medical marijuana still have to use narcotics but can get by with a reduced dose, so this is of great benefit to them.

They are addictive, constipating, and mind altering with outcomes much more significant and severe than marijuana. And as time goes by people need more as receptors to the drugs become desensitized. Take it from someone who administers narcotics daily and knows the ins and outs of it through 5 years of patient care, all involving narcotics.

In hospice we do not under medicate. We take it to the limit to control pain, and there is no limit...and we do see the impact of narcotic use, but it is always a trade off, pain or narcotic side effects.

The other downside of increased narcotic use in this country is that these oxycontins and mscontins and methadones and lortabs are making their way into the hands of our youth right out of the medicine cabinets across the nation. Over dose and death due to this type of distribution and abuse is skyrocketing.

I much rather see a teen stealing marijuana or THC pills (marinol) out of the medicine cabinet than mscontin or methadone. We had a local boy die here recently from methadone overdose from meds he stole from a family member. It is a REALLY BIG PROBLEM!

Reaction score
My sister had some Vicodine left over after her cancer surgery that she didn't use. She went to use them a year later ad couldn't find them. Her son had sold them at school. Kids grind them up and snort them.

I've had a few surgeries with generic Vicodine and Percoset for pain. They make me cranky after a few days. I've used a lot of pot in the past but never for pain. My best friend uses it for his stomach, I think it calms his stress more than anything else.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Stress and anxiety can make pain to be perceived to be worse that it would be without. I think that that may be one of the keys to why medical marijuana is so effective. Alleviate the stress and the perception of pain greatly reduces and becomes more tolerable. This is not to say that mj does not directly relieve pain.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
FWIW, mentioning that today President Obama stated that legalizing Pot will not be used to grow the economy: "No. I do not think it's a good strategy to spur the economy".

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It already pumps billions into the California economy, that is, marijuana actually grown in California.

Think of all the money the state could save if all those in jail for a pound or less of marijuana were not there.

Reaction score
sylvie said:
FWIW, mentioning that today President Obama stated that legalizing Pot will not be used to grow the economy: "No. I do not think it's a good strategy to spur the economy".
I don't think he is really against it but it would be political suicide. I think a majority would accept it, but the minority that didn't would be very loud about it and includes most of big money. However the new Attorney General is not going to waste as much time and money on it as previous administrations.

Reaction score
Mackay said:
It already pumps billions into the California economy, that is, marijuana actually grown in California.

Think of all the money the state could save if all those in jail for a pound or less of marijuana were not there.
The Sens is some of the best stuff grown in the world. Yes they would save a lot of money but then there would be room for real criminals. The only industry in the US that has substantialy increased in the last 5 years is the prison industry.

peckndirt

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If someone has need of it the best thing to do is grow it ,stow it ,and keep it to yourself. I personally think it's much safer and more reasonable than the sell of alcohol .

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
But producing it is much more dangerous that possession of an ounce or so at this point. You get sent up the river for a longer stretch.

If California legalized pot I don't know if they could make any money cause everyone would just grow it in their yards and balconies....unless they make is so you must be licensed to produce or something like that.

Reaction score
Growing good pot is an art. Most home grown isn't worth having around. I did know one guy that grew some in the Hills around Los Gatos that was very high quality.