Canning Pumpkin - What did i do wrong?

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
S6309797.JPG

See the problem? Lots of the water is gone. I assume that this means that the water boiled out of the jars while in the canner, but what could i have done to prevent this?

I canned it in my pressure canner (All American) for 90 minutes at ten pounds pressure, per USDA instructions. I left one inch head space. All the jars sealed, but with that much liquid missing, i'm very nervous. Some lost more liquid than others. Can you help me do better next time?

S6309798.JPG

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mine does that every year as well but it's still plenty good to eat... I've noticed that the larger quart jars don't seem to leak as much water as the pints do...

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm interested in this also... my potatoes "lost" a lot of water too - i figured they absorbed it???? or did it bubble out??

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Usually one of two things happens when the water escapes from the jar during canning.

Either #1 the pressure fluctuated during processing or
#2 the pressure was reduced too quickly at the end of the process.

I personally used to be in a terrible hurry to see what I just canned and sometimes released the pressure myself instead of waiting until the canner slowly cooled down on its own. :/

When the pressure INSIDE of the JAR is greater that the pressure inside of the CANNER the water is forced out.

BTW my last batch of sweet potatoes lost about an inch of water as well, so sometimes it happens ... even to the most experienced canner. ;)

Edited to say: When you have a jar that lost water be double sure to remove the rings and clean the jar well before storage. A ring left on that jar will most certainly rust and cause seal failure.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Oh, y'all are awesome. Thank you.

I know what i did now.

I took the weight off of the canner to let the pressure out.

As soon as i did, there was a constant forced stream of steam out of there for about 15 minutes. I remember thinking, "i don't think i was supposed to do that."

Ha!

Well, now i know. Don't do that. ;)

I really appreciate the tips. I'm sure that's what i did wrong. I'll do better next time.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
great explanation, FF!!!

ok i'm in the "know" now.... i try not to hurry but i only have one canner and i'm usually anxious to move it right along.

PP - we are gonna be pumpkin canning maniacs now - whoooot!

:)

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wow didn't realize that fact about letting it cool slowly... I too have only one caner so as soon as one batch is done I let the steam out to start my next batch I have waiting...

That's good news for my pumpkin this year I have 7 big boys waiting to be canned right now... But stinks cause it's going to take me twice as long then this year... hahaha

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For now, mine has to go in the freezer :( No pressure canner.... It's on my Christmas wish list, though, as well as some Tattler lids!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Glad to be of help. :lol: I am glad to know I was not the only one in a hurry to get that canner open! :p