Canning....

Grumpy Pumpkin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
First, let me start by saying that this is my first evening on this website. I stumbled on it completely by accident. I have been thumbing through the content for about an hour now. Everything is so interesting!! Thank you to every single person who is contributing all this useful information :) I have toyed with various things on here from making my own bread (the organic mixes were the best result for me) to a vegetable garden (this is my second year at it with medium results) and am so glad to find people with the same interest. I have no domestic training at all, my mom had no idea how to cook and we never grew anything, so I really had no direction but what I read in small pamphlets at the supermarket. I think doing what we can to take care of ourselves and rely on ourselves is great and somewhere we have lost those lessons that used to be passed down through generations.

That being said, something I have always been curious about is canning. I tried to can tomatoes last year (my first crop) but my mom said I would suffer from botchulism (please excuse the spelling) if I actually ate them so I was afraid. I boiled the jars, boiled the tomatoes and then boiled the tomatoes in the jars. So much misguidance, I just do not know where to start. I want to start simple and I mean simple....I do not even know how to sterilize although I have heard that the dishwasher can do it. Maybe pickles, jams, stews. I saw a photo from someone's well stocked pantry and think that is so fabulous but i have realistic expectations for myself and also want to know maybe what to plant next year to ensure cans a plenty for the winter. Any suggestions on where to start?? Any help would sure be appreciated for someone who is just getting started:)

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Welcome!

I would suggest starting with high acid foods, like pickles or jam. They can be canned in a waterbath, and the high acid is pretty safe anyway. Maybe apple sauce or pie filling, as that is what is in season right now.... here anyway. :)

Stews you would probably need to can in a pressure canner, which isn't that hard, but is different than waterbath canning.

I sterilize my jars in boiling water and then use the same water to can the stuff. Hmm, does that make sense? Anyway, you can also sterilize jars in the dishwasher.

I'm sure other people will pitch in and recommend their favorite canning books, but a lot of people use the Ball Blue Book, it explains things well, has pictures (which are my favorite part) and USDA approved recipes.

Good luck with your canning endeavor.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :frow

I can differently than most folks on here, so you could talk to someone like Pat about canning safety and such.

We have always just washed our jars in bleach water and air-dried them.

The Ball Blue Book is a great guide for newbies and has been used by canners for many generations.

Feel free to use the search option for topics you don't see right off hand....so much info has passed over these pages! :)

Glad you joined us! :)

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Welcome ! I stumbled in here myself a couple of month.s. ago and I blame every one of these wonderful ladies for my unquenchable appetite for canning ! LOL

I am a bit of a rebel with the sterilization. My pressure canned jars I don't sterilize because of the high temperature they will reach. The hot water bath ones, I fill half way with hot water and microwave them seven at a time for six months in the microwave. So far, I have not died. But it's early.

I started with jams. You might try apple butter that you can make in your crock pot, can in sterilized half pint jars and then water bath them. The small size of the jars is good because you can use a big saucepan instead of buying a big pan just for canning, and then see how you do.

You might enjoy canninusa.com They have videos which are very slow paced (I liked that part especially) and excellent instructions.

As well, pickyourown.org has an enormous emount of information on canning. Very nonthreatening.

I am so glad you are here. I predict that in a very short period of time you will be a real pro !

Kris

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Welcome ! I stumbled in here myself a couple of month.s. ago and I blame every one of these wonderful ladies for my unquenchable appetite for canning ! LOL

I am a bit of a rebel with the sterilization. My pressure canned jars I don't sterilize because of the high temperature they will reach. The hot water bath ones, I fill half way with hot water and microwave them seven at a time for six months in the microwave. So far, I have not died. But it's early.
. . .
Kris
Lady Chef- you're the first person I've heard of that heats their water for 6 months. :lol: It must be sterile by then. Thanks for the laugh. :frow

prism

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Welcome Grumpy Pumpkin! I stumbled in here about a month ago. There is so much incredible information shared here!

If you are new to gardening, you might also want to check out the sister site - http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/index.php
A lot of great information is shared there too. My favorite recent thread was the shared pics of tomatoes that everyone was harvesting and members also discussed their preferences for taste, canning, etc. I had never seen white tomatoes before. I'm always learning something new both here and there.

Good luck on your new adventure!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
:welcome

Bee is right. Pat is the safety expert. If she sees you ask a safety question or sees someone give you advice that is not safe she will jump right in.

The Ball Blue Book of Canning is a must for any canner so if you are thinking about canning water bath or pressure. I would say buy the book.

Edited to add.
Oh since you don't know who Pat is - Patandchickens. She has lots of stuff posted here.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
When I first started, I went all in, lol. My MIL bought me the Blue Book, and it was the best thing she ever did for me! It is now well worn, and full of my own personal notes in the margins. I canned everything....tomatoes (and anything to do with them, including ketchup), pickles, green beans, peas, potatoes, apples, applesauce, even meat like pork, beef, and chicken. I did it all from the Blue Book. It is the best investment you'll ever make!

I also invested in a good pressure canner and all the accessories. Another good buy. It was fun buying, and although canning can be a lot of work, it is so rewarding in the end that its well worth it. When you can save time cooking supper, and its something YOU"VE grown, its so worth it! My kids loved 'shopping' for supper, and loved the home grown better than the fast food. ;)

DH and I had a good time on the deck shelling peas at sunset, or shucking sweet corn. The kids liked digging in the dirt for the potatoes.

Canning is awsome, and as everyone has said, BLUE BOOK it!! LOL Good luck and welcome to SS!! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I love seeing all those full jars in rows, all the different colors, all that food available on my shelves! :love

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
As far as the gardening part goes, plant what you like and will eat from your preserved harvest.

Tomatoes can be turned into many different things for different uses: salsas, juiced, sauces, whole, chopped. If you like soups in winter, it's wonderful to pull a couple jars of sauce and a jar of chopped tomatoes from your pantry.

Cucumbers: the variety of pickles is practically endless. Plus, you can combine with other items such as peppers and onions for relishes.

Squash: we like it best fresh, but I had some very tasty squash pickles from someone else.

Corn & green beans: if you're still not comfortable pressure canning when those come in, you can always freeze them.

That's just a few of the many, many possibilites. I agree, with everyone else. Get a copy of the Ball Blue Book since it's a great place to start.

And, :welcome