Cattle panel greenhouse

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe this group would have some opinions about my second greenhouse.

This greenhouse is going to be more of a sprout house--no ground contact, it's built on top of an existing deck.

The house is to the East and there's a big tree to the West, so during the winter it will get full sun about half day, and in summer dappled shade most of the day.

20240427_114236.jpg

I have finished the panels on the South. I have two panels left, which I want to use for the ends.

I could use those panels for the North side and buy new panels for the ends, or I could use some leftover vinyl siding that was in the barn when I bought the property.

Any thoughts? I think the vinyl siding might be a better insulator, it's free, but it will create a full sight barrier, which I'm not enthused about.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe this group would have some opinions about my second greenhouse.

This greenhouse is going to be more of a sprout house--no ground contact, it's built on top of an existing deck.

The house is to the East and there's a big tree to the West, so during the winter it will get full sun about half day, and in summer dappled shade most of the day.

View attachment 26078

I have finished the panels on the South. I have two panels left, which I want to use for the ends.

I could use those panels for the North side and buy new panels for the ends, or I could use some leftover vinyl siding that was in the barn when I bought the property.

Any thoughts? I think the vinyl siding might be a better insulator, it's free, but it will create a full sight barrier, which I'm not enthused about.
Can you get under the deck to insulate it? It makes a difference.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe put stall mats down inside. Those can be a bit expensive, though. Sometimes I see used in the local buy, sell, trade groups for fairly cheap.

I'd use the vinyl siding on the north side where light isn't an issue and use the panels on the south side.

Edit because i read post wrong first time. Can also get greenhouse plastic for covering if needed. It usually isnt too expensive but will need replaced every few years

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can also get greenhouse plastic for covering if needed. It usually isnt too expensive but will need replaced every few years
I have some heavy plastic, but decided against using it for this greenhouse because of the way the wind is here. 40-50 mph gusts aren't unusual, and this will be in the direct path of most of the wind.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used this stuff under luxury vinyl and also to insulate a fiber glass garage door, I really like it. It's super thin and a single layer is about 15R a double layer around 21R. I wouldn't use it alone to walk on but I would use it under carpet, vinyl or even under plywood for a floor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153720072957 (read the description).

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used this stuff under luxury vinyl and also to insulate a fiber glass garage door, I really like it. It's super thin and a single layer is about 15R a double layer around 21R. I wouldn't use it alone to walk on but I would use it under carpet, vinyl or even under plywood for a floor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153720072957 (read the description).

I used that stuff for my 4x6 root cellar shed and it works pretty well. One 100w bulb when it's below 32° keeps it from freezing inside.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used that stuff for my 4x6 root cellar shed and it works pretty well. One 100w bulb when it's below 32° keeps it from freezing inside.
If it keeps a 4x6 root cellar shed from freezing with 100 watts, then I would say that's pretty good👍.