Cheapest way to raise meat to eat

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
What a creative group, so many fresh ideas! lol

I'm really intrigued with the getting rabbits after Easter. I've eaten rabbit before and really enjoyed it. Are there threads on here devoted to raising them that any of you would recommend?

I told my husband about your ideas and that he needs to start hunting!

Overall we have really enjoyed eating the muscovy, the breast is a rare treat.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Weird isn't it T? Otters have a similar bone there. I'm trying to remember what, but Native Americans used the bones for something special.. Well, if I think of it I'll come back.

I'm jealous of those that have had Muscovy. Beginning of this summer I had about twelve Muscovies, a fair deal were female. Either they were ditching me or something specifically went after them - and they are one of the more aggressive birds. I'm down to four females and three males. The fourth male that I had been aching to butcher and eat all summer recently DIED on me. Stupid duck.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Probably... :lol:

Hey adopted! Tell hubby they are NOT rodents. They are lagomorphs, a different order of critter. :D
Then fix some bacon mummy bunny and he'll fall in love. hehehe I left out the fennel tho...
Just don't tell him its bunny until the next day. ;)

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Are there threads on here devoted to raising them that any of you would recommend?
I have not been on this site for long but, I do know at the bottom of this page is a link to backyardherds.com and it has an entire rabbit section. The site is not nearly as busy as this one though. I think people are still new to it or unaware of it.
But, there is good info there. Also a great place to look, is the book "Storey's Guide to raising rabbits" Very useful info there.
Good luck to you

the lady w/4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 5 meat rabbits and their kits
and the STD poodle I am fostering

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I could have edited my post, but I wanted to correct my statement about the free-range bunnies. They have been running loose in the yard since their escape on 8-25. None lost, no run-aways. But again, they have lots of goat toys & the chicken coop door to hide under. They like to hide under the house & the other rabbits' hutches, too.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you're trying to save money, eat less meat.
Meat can be more expensive but it is very nutrient dense. You have to eat a lot more beans and veggies to get the same vitamins and minerals you would get from a piece of meat. As someone who used to be a vegetarian and also used to be VERY overweight and VERY unhealthy on a meatless diet, I don't recommend cutting meat intake to anyone.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
just eat LESS lol

who are we kidding, we all mostly eat too much lol

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips on getting hubby to eat rabbit. I think I'll combine them, don't tell him what he is eating, and then the next day tell him it was lagomorph. :lol:

I need to get a small caliber very accurate rifle like a 17 or such to have this fun with. Everything I have right now would not leave any rabbit intact to eat. Hubby got a coyote approaching the barn few days ago, shot if from off the back deck so probably 75 yards and he had a hole in him I could put my fist through on the exit side, with the smallest gun we have.