Chokecherry Jelly and Crab Apple Jelly Question

prism

Power Conserver
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Hey Prism, if yo have freezer space, rosehips do well being frozen first before doing sanything to them. If I remember correctly, the best time to pick them was after the first heavy frost.
I have picked them and thrown them in the freezer until the season slowed down enough tobe able to tackle them. rosehip jam is my favourite.
Wow! I would have never thought about freezing them like this. It actually would work out perfect if it is better to pick them after the frost. By then, most everything else would be harvested and stored. Freezing them would give a chance to deal with the last minute stuff picked in anticipation of a frost and have a little time to catch one's breath. Any recommendation for time span in the freezer since they are not blanched (I assume) or anything first?

I really, really need to try this! It sound delicious and I hate to see them go to waste every year! Thank you so much!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
In all honesty, I don't blanch alot of things I put corn in the freezer rightoff the cob Asparagus too. Tried it with beans but ended up blanchng them this year. All raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, I just flash freeze.

I think I picked our rosehips, well it was moose season, so prolly October, and froze them I think for a coupla weeks before I got around to making the jam. But, honestly, you could probably freeze them longer. My fruit ad veggies are fine till the following season without blanching.