Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
kudoes! :) the important thing is how does he feel and how are you feeling?

for me, i knew the first gardening season after dropping around 15 lbs that i was helping the rest of my body out (especially for dealing with the summer heat when gardening). i've levelled out the past few months which isn't unusual for winter (i'm happy if i can keep from gaining again). eating more fruits and fiber and not as much junk has made a nice change.

Id been losing for the last 9 months or so but not as fast as hubby. Had to buy a size down in pants back in November and probably will again in a few months.

Hubby's had so many issues he can't tell me if he feels better. If he can go a few weeks without something new popping up it would be good. He does seem to be moving a bit easier when I watch.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So my son and I ripped out an old fence row late winter this year. It was about like you explained.

We did what I'm calling a selective removal. We left a wild apple tree and a mulberry tree that hadn't grown into the fencing (both woven wire and barb wire). We the ran the bush hog down the fence row after we got them t-posts and wire out. It cleaned up pretty nice.

Yesterday while FB was mowing the old fence row she found several asparagus crowns. Nice tender spears, as big as my thumb. We had them for dinner last night 😋. We'll be eating off them for a few weeks and she will mow around them so they fern and come back next year. They were buried in all the overgrowth along that old fence row.

If I were to have used RU, well you already know there would be no asparagus or fruit trees left. The results aren't in yet on the apple or mulberry trees. But if they don't produce I can graft onto them with varieties that do produce. And I can pull air-layers off them for new clones or rootstocks.

We've maintained our new fence rows with the bush hog, zero turn and pruners. It seems to be working OK so far. Yes it takes more time and work but there are some species of plants that we choose to keep. There is one section of fence that I've picked morel mushrooms from also 😋 and there is ginseng growing in another section. Plus many other species of beneficial plants.

I'm not against doing what needs to be done either. They sell RU for a reason, when someone chooses to use it, that's their decision, i"m not going to get sour because it, that's their choice.

Jesus is Lord and Christ

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tank is so bitey (inclined to bite) I know he's pup and all, but a guy can only take but so much. He doesn't bite hard, but still. So I started last night trying to teach him not to bite me anymore or anyone else for that matter, like FB.

Unbelievably it's working... he is responding very well to my displeasurable vocal scolding. I've taught this extremely excitable happy 12 week old yellow labrador retriever pup so many things already. It kind of floors me how eager he is learn.

12 weeks and 1 day old, 29.6 lbs. His eyes are turning green. He's quite the companion.
Screenshot_20240409_110810_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Labs are smart and eager to please dogs. That's why they were the #1 breed registered in the U.S. for a long time. Now it's something less useful.

Also I was way to late to answer you @CrealCritter but others did so quite well.

On the spraying, I try to raise bee's so one neighbor of 21,000 acres spraying doesn't make me real happy. Another neighbor (closer to me) who constantly sprays irritates me, even if we're friends. I don't tell him he can't/shouldn't/ he's an idiot or anything else. But he did buy a nice new zero turn mower and still sprays the front yard and other areas that are not only easy to mow but getting mowed anyway. Now that irritates me, other times it's quite understandable, possibly unavoidable or unreasonable not to spray. When your friend/neighbor has bee's AND it's a spot that you mow, spraying just to get rid of flowers that a previous owner had planted yea that's something.
Once I picked a bouquet of flowers for his wife for mothers day. After getting to his yard I spotted a few flowers that would look good in the bouquet, I had to pull them back out so the fresh poison wouldn't hurt the rest of the flowers that were in the bouquet. That was right after getting his "new" fancy mower.
I still don't tell him the stuff the others told you.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pouring rain here. Under flood watch. Ya think? Waiting on daylight so I can go check on sheep.
@CrealCritter Tank will be the best friend you’ll ever have. We had a Lab named Danny. He would escape the yard and go downtown to the police station. The dispatchers loved Danny. He sat, did high five and was so friendly. Then Butch the dog catcher would pick Danny up and put him in puppy jail. Butch would call me at work and I’d leave him a $15 check in the mailbox next morning. Butch delivered Danny to the backyard and collected the fine. We had Danny almost 14 years.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pot just finished -- good, fresh! Just had about half cup from yesterday, heated...to drink as I waited.😐 Gonna be another long day at work, need help 😁

Clouds say it could rain, weather liars say most likely not but they're sliding backwards on that!😵‍💫 It is a 70% go for tomorrow. Haven't gotten a finish till on garden 🤷 maybe Sunday. Left tractor sitting in the garden, ready to start & go!

Chores, change and go to work -- just like 30 yrs ago 🤣

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pouring rain here. Under flood watch. Ya think? Waiting on daylight so I can go check on sheep.
@CrealCritter Tank will be the best friend you’ll ever have. We had a Lab named Danny. He would escape the yard and go downtown to the police station. The dispatchers loved Danny. He sat, did high five and was so friendly. Then Butch the dog catcher would pick Danny up and put him in puppy jail. Butch would call me at work and I’d leave him a $15 check in the mailbox next morning. Butch delivered Danny to the backyard and collected the fine. We had Danny almost 14 years.
I had tank over at the neighbors with their trained search and rescue black lab and their labadoddle (spelling?). Their labadoddle stepped on my neighbors foot and she let out a holler in pain. Tank dropped what he was doing and ran over to her and jumped in her lap. She said he's a service dog not even their black lab who is trained search and rescue seems to care about her hollin' out in pain.

So I said let's do that again but wait until they are preoccupied playing heavily. She started hollering, tank dropped what he was doing and it was like jumping became his super power. He actually jumped over both of thier dogs and then jumped plum over a ottoman and jumped in her lap. That was pretty shocking to me 😲.

The whole event led me read up on service dogs and shortages of them. Apparently labrador retievers, golden retievers and german shepherds, in that order are the most common breeds trained as service dogs. Tank is a labrador retiever. But they have to be born with the ability, not many are, its uncommon. The list of service dog specialities are impressive. From seeing eye dogs to therapy dogs and numerous specialities in-between. I know we've all seen service dogs out and about with their orange vests on.

Now I have a big decision in front of me. I need to get him ability tested. If he was born with the ability to be trained into a service dog. Then is he really meant for me to keep? The simple answer is, of course not. And I would give him away, to be trained, if he could help someone else who really needs him. But even typing this paragraph was difficult for me. Because i've become attached to tank already.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While I appreciate your good intentions, it would be unpleasant for you to give up your friend. You know, they are trained in homes at first, for all the "normal" dog obedience. Then to specialized training for the type service dog to be.

Personally, I would probably look for a group who provides such dogs to military service members at no cost. We under appreciate their consequences after serving our country. Often these dogs are the thing they need for assistance physically, and mentally for PTSD & depression.

I can see you wheels turning. Do you have any assistance needs ??? 🥰

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I actually find it odd that the other dogs didn't come checking. I haven't had a dog who didn't. Maybe it's because of how I bond with dogs.

Athena was the worst because she'd get very pushy checking me over.

There's lots of sirens that just started being audible. So dogs are distracted. I did some pain yells and they came running and sniffing.

And now I need to go walk down to the main road. Sirens stopped close. Quick check on Pulsepoint says accident but I cant see where over the raised RR tracks and hubby will need to know if he needs to come home a different way.