Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dang. I don't use 10# a year unless I go on a massive baking binge! 🤣. In fact, I have more than half of a 10# left from last yr. But I bought another 10# just in case. Now coffee, way more of that is used. 👍👍
I put 25lbs into a 1 1/2-2 gal of water for sugar water for the bee's. It makes 3ish gal of syrup. It's needed before and after making splits, well maybe not needed but it gives them a boost to build up. I don't put it on the individual hives I just open feed in 1 gal chicken waterer. It's gone in a few hours after they find out it's refilled. Speaking of which I should do that now. I only fix it about once a week.
Hubby loves his sweet tea and I do some for kombucha.

His tea I make is no where near as sweet as what a restaurant down south serves.
That's me except I do love a glass of FL or GA tea. If the wife fixes it I have several glasses with lunch or I bring a half gal jug to work with me along with the half gal jug for water.

I just told the wife and said that she should go ahead and get 2 bags when she goes to town.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang....I'm amazed. I can see the bee part with several hives. I'm over that....hives were given away.
Only have tea on occasion now. 🤷 I'm weird 🤣

When I read the "frugal" tips anywhere...heck, been doing those for years already. Guess I'm just old🤣🤣🤣🤣

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
5l4FfmB.jpeg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i've greatly cut back on my sugar consumption the past few years. was normal for me to use half a pound a week of brown sugar or regular sugar in coffee or teas or just using it for sandwiches (peanut butter with sugar on top), etc. on top of all the other sweets i was eating.

today i had several cookies that my sister brought with her that are very good and not very sweet so i asked her if they were keto version and she said they were made with spelt flour and some other less carb ingredients, but still good. it's nice to have something different when you've been eating the same three kinds of cookies for a week already (oh woe is me! we're all gonna die...)...

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I put out the last gal of syrup and they jumped on it. The wife went to town and could not find any 25lb bags. Thought about just getting a few 4#ers and getting more next week then thought there may not be any next week, so she got 10 of them. Thanks for the heads up.

Side note.... She noticed a swarm in the tree in a tree in front of the house, kinda above her car before going to town. I just walked past it 15 min's earlier and I didn't see it. She calls me, so me and the boys head back to the house. I set up a complete hive body under neath it with an extra box on top to help them all fall in. I waited a bit because the scouts were checking it out, then seemed not to interested, so I gave the limb, about 15' up a shake.
The mass landed on the corner of the boxes and mostly out of it and all over a bed sheet I had set under it. There was some going in the bottom entrance so I put the lid on and shut it. They crawled from the sheet to completely cover one side of all 3 boxes, over 1" thick on the top box. I decided I could take the top box off slap it down and shake the bee's into the bottom box's and it would probably have the queen and a couple of #'s workers, so they should stay. I also decided I could wait until after the wife got home and the groceries unloaded. I grabbed a handful and went in, she grabbed a handful and went in and said it looks like they're flying up. I set the bags down come back out and out of the 5,000? bee's there were maybe 2 dozen left in those minutes.

I should've saved that long paragraph for my journal in BYH. I hate typing twice.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
On my second cup of coffee. Going to put on yesterday’s muddy jeans to do morning chores and feed bottle lambs. Pen is muddy from all the rain and the little stinkers climb all over me. Then I’ll change clothes and take truck to Lufkin. Another big storm coming tomorrow and I won’t be able to drive diesel truck over my road. Don’t have 4WD. I need 5-6 100 pound bales of alfalfa for ewes and lambs, and 4-5 gallons of milk for formula for bottle lambs. Then back home, hunker down for next storm. Storm will be over the watershed for the Trinity River and San Jancinto River, already in flood stage, just making more misery.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is my sister being rescued from her flooded house on Thursday. That picture has hit the associated press and gone out everywhere. Rescue boats got her out of the second story window, water was already in the second story.

I just talked to her. Her friends have taken her to shop for a few clothes, got a pedicure and was going into a make up store. Pretty feet, pretty face, clean clothes and she is in much happier spirits.

IMG_6530.png

Latest posts