Compost pile not "working"

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Cooked worms anybody? :D
Mmmmmmm...sounds like a nice addition to Sunday's Christmas meal...like a side dish in case we don't have enough goose. :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you can get them nice and crispy, you could add them to the green bean casserole. :D

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you don't compost the manure you will end up with weed seeds. A lot of weed seeds will pass right through the cows/horses gut and grow in the "fertalizer" it was deposited in.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
If you can get them nice and crispy, you could add them to the green bean casserole. :D
That's the ticket. Think anyone would notice? :sick

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day, Maybe someone may like to try the following..........1.Start the pile with some "well rotted fresh compost",then add about 6ins of "fresh green moist grass clippings",then add about 6ins of your leaves or whatever,add another 6ins of the grass clippings and cover (black plastic is OK)............Check after a day or three,you can smell it if it is starting to work,when you break it open it will smell warm and after a week or so you will be able to see the white fungus stuff on the grass clippings,add 6ins of manures and another 6ins of"fresh damp grass clippings"........In the next day or so I will en devour to get a few pic's of mine....I have 3 piles going at the moment to use on our paddocks in the Autumn.......................T.O.R............................

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
Urine is a great way to hot up a pile- just pee into a bucket and dump it on (or have the menfolk in your life pee directly on the pile- the young ones get a real kick out of it). It has lots of nitrogen and other stuff in it. And before you get all squeamish about it- urine is sterile (although it's better than a petri dish for growing bacteria).
Reminds me of what my boys did when we were building the house on the acreage.

We were still living in town but spending quite a bit of time building the house out in the country. Because we didn't have a toilet out there, It told the two boys (5 and 3 at the time) to just pee on a tree when they had to go.

Well, one day in town, I came out of the garage to see my two on the boulevard boys pissing into the street with their pants down to their ankles....as cars drove by.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:lol: oh dear :gig

Reminds me of the time my eldest who was about 3 at the time, climbed out of the kiddie pool to pull his suit down and pee on the grass. My FIL was horrified, but I pointed out that at least he hadn't peed IN the pool where he and the other kids were playing...