Convenience Foods

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I decided that this title would be useful for other recipes, instead of having a new thread for each recipe... hope that's ok?

DRY ONION SOUP MIX
3/4 cup instant minced onion
1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed celery seed
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Directions:

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
About 5 tablespoons of mix are equal to 1 1¼-ounce package.

To make onion dip: Mix 5 tablespoons with one pint of sour cream.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Do you make your own bouillon powder?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not yet, the recipe I found for chicken bouillon called for rice protein powder, which I haven't found yet. I haven't found a decent recipe for beef bouillon powder yet, so it you know of one I'd sure appreciate the recipe.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't know of one, that's why I asked. I can't use the commercial bouillons-too much salt. :( Maybe someone else will know of one. :fl

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just found something that sounds interesting, but probably expensive. Victorianworkbasket blog has this to say:

"I like to cook my roast in a slow cooker, after searing the beef in a tablespoon of olive oil with salt, onions and garlic in a saute pan. I usually put a few cups of water and a cup of red wine in the slow cooker with more onions, garlic, salt and pepper, and cook the beef until it can be pulled apart with a fork.
Once the roast beef is done, I pull it apart, and layer it with kosher salt in a bowl and let it sit for about an hour, letting it cool in the fridge until it can be handled without getting burned. I then place the beef in single layers on the dehydrator trays, sprinkle more kosher salt over the beef, and set the temperature at 165°F until the beef is very brittle. I start checking the beef after 6 hours or so, but it can take 10 or more hours for all to be done.

After the beef is completely dried, I use my spice grinder to grind it into powder, but I do set aside a few little chunks for re-hydrating as pieces of beef in my instant cup of soup mix."

Obviously, you can adjust the seasonings to your personal taste.

There are vegetable bouillon recipes up the yin/yang though, and those aren't terribly difficult or expensive

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now that sounds interesting. But, unless you have unlimited access to cow, you're right - sounds pricey. (But good!) Might have to try it the next time roast is on sale.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is a recipe that the mother of an old boyfriend taught me, many years ago. She was Puerto Rican, and this is called sofrito; it's a seasoning that is added to all kinds of things- rice, meat dishes...

PUERTO RICAN SOFRITO
2 onions, chopped
2 yellow bell peppers, chopped (if you can find them, aji peppers are the authentic choice)
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2-3 bunches of cilantro, chopped

Combine the onions and peppers in your blender and pulse to chop very fine (or you can use a mortar and pestle, like she did). Then add the garlic and cilantro, and continue to process until it resembles a pesto in texture. Put dollops into an ice cube tray and freeze, then pop them out and store int a zip lock in the freezer until ready to use.

Here's a recipe I like to make with it:

Pork Sofrito
1 pint jar of canned diced pork
2-3 potatoes, cubed (leave the skin on for more nutrition)
1 envelope of Sazon Goya (or you can make your own and avoid the MSG!)
1/2 small can tomato sauce
Cumin to taste (I use about 1/2 tsp)
dash of black pepper
salt to taste

Put the pork and potatoes in a saucepan with just enough water to cover. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, then add the remaining ingredients and simmer a few more minutes until the flavors develop. Serve over rice.

To make your own Sazon Goya:
Mix together 1 Tbsp each of
Salt
Black Pepper
Garlic Powder
Ground Coriander
Cumin
Oregano
Annatto seed, ground (you can find annato seed in the hispanic section of most grocery stores, but if you can't just leave it out. It mostly just adds an appetizing red color, and just a little bit of taste)
1 1/2 teaspoons equals 1 packet

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is a Mix I like having in my kitchen. I started making this because I couldn't find a decent whole wheat biscuit mix, like Bisquick. I've found that if I use 100% whole wheat flour, it tends to be very delicate and breaks apart when you try to butter the biscuits, so I use the Darwin Mix- 50% whole wheat and 50% white flours

Biscuit Mix

Ingredients
  • 9 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 cups shortening (I prefer lard)
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place or in the freezer for up to 8 months.
Use this just like Bisquick.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
HOMEMADE WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1 tsp of anchovy paste (optional)

directions
Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir thoroughly. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 minute. Cool. Store in the refrigerator.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
COPYCAT LAWRY’S SEASONED SALT

2 tbsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground celery seed (or ¼ tsp celery salt)
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp cornstarch
Pinch of cinnamon