convert existing house to rainwater system

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I imagine with a bit of ingenuity you might be able to set up a system on your own cwith less cost.

Sorry were you planning a gravity feed system or a pump?

G

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The quote consists of approximately $5000 for basic tank installation (I guess it would be llike a cistern) and another $5000 to connect it to the existing plumbing, filter it, add a pump andhave potable water. If I would do just the basic tank for irrigation, it would defeat the purpose as I'd still need to buy county water. I was considering just taking the unfiltered rainwater from the tank (possibly even without a pump) and run the little I need for drinking or such through a filter at that time (e.g. Berkey filter). Not sure if I can get my husband to agree with that, or how well that would really work long termas I basically would be carrying all that water from the tank inside the house rather than using existing plumbing.

saraltx

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a metal roof and would be getting a metal tank, not plastic, which should avoid some of the problems that were mentioned. The fire safety issue might be worth considering, though, especially since I essentially live in the forest.

butterscotch

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Where I live (a town with one of the highest water restrictions (and not just from lack of water)) the prices easily break triple figures per month. And we're not allowed to water our garden between 8am and 4pm. :/

Sorry for posting on such an old topic, I just thought it semi-relevant.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It's OK to post on old topics. It brings it up to the front for those who may not have read it.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good to have extra water on hand for when the water supply gets tainted too. We've seen that a few times in the news, and boiling doesn't help with chemical spills.