cooking shortcuts and premade food ideas

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am wanting to put more ready to eat type foods in my freezer or canned in the pantry and cut down on cooking and prep time. Please share your recipes and tricks with me.
Nancy

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not going to be very helpful, but I do plan to follow this thread to see what everybody else comes up with! :D

My guys refuse to eat anything out of the freezer, unless it's a hunk of meat (the worst couple of anti-leftover people ever!), so I tend to can and dehydrate everything - separately, except for some soups. That way, I can just grab a jar of this, a handful of dehydrated this and that, add water and spices and dinner's on the table. :hu

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
something you can try is set up your meats / marinades or spices mix in the bag when you seperate them for freezing.

when i was growing up my dad would make chili or thick stews in large batches but leave them kinda plain (non spiced) and thin (more liquid), then freeze them in freezer bags. he would cut the top off a half gallon milk jug put the bag in like a trash bag and fill it up. then freeze the bag in the milk container, the frozen stew / chili could be removed form the bag placed into the crock pot in the morning on warm and we would have a meal waiting in the house when we got back. add spice to taste and eat!

you can do tons of prep for a meal a head of time, just by being organized in what you are doing. if your pantry is not squared away you can waste 10-15min just looking and walking back and forth.

plan out your meals (leaving flexablitiy).

if you look at your recipes you can see what can be done on grocery day and what needs to wait until day of. Front load as much prep as you can.

Sharp knives (keep them sharp! hone them prior to each use and after you clean them)

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A couple years ago I scored a truckload of free pumpkins. After cooking the pulp I measured out and added spices and sugar according to pie and muffin recipe. Wrote the rest of the needed ingredients on the bag along with oven temp. Makes for an easy morning to pull out a muffin bag and squeeze it into a bowl add flour, oil, backing powder and egg and mix.
Have done others like this also. A few things I have found are
The fruit mix doesn't seem to freeze hard if there is fairly large amount of sugar added which means less or no thaw time before using.
DO NOT add baking powder or soda to wet ingredients until ready to use. Explosions may happen.
The flour part of the recipe just takes up too much freezer space.

What I find is that 'prepackaged' never seems to be what we want at the time so I don't do much of that. I do can some spaghetti sauce and chilli. But in general it's mostly the 'raw' ingredients. But I don't find prep to usually take too long. Maybe that's because I seldom follow recipes and cook from memory. If I do pull out a recipe it does seem to take much longer guess cause I'm following instead of leading.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
‎The work-horse convenience foods at our house are home-canned:
-tomato sauce, paste, and salsa
-canned ground beef and beef/chicken/pork chunks
-condiments like mustard, ketchup, relishes, mango chutney (we use it a lot in cooking), and veggie antipasto
-baked beans, soups, and stews

----------

Tomato Sauce

Wash and quarter Roma or other thick meaty tomatoes and cook on medium-high, crushing each layer with potato masher until tomatoes are cooked down

Run cooked tomatoes in batches through food mill or press through sieve with back of wooden spoon to remove seeds and peels

Heat resulting sauce and cook on medium till reduced to desired sauce thickness

(Can also bake in a slow oven or crock pot till tomato paste consistency then proceed as for sauce, paste doesn't require addition of lemon juice because it is so concentrated)

Add 1 tbsp bottled lemon juice to each quart jar and ladle sauce into jars leaving 1/2" headspace, can add 1/4 tsp salt per quart, process 45 minutes (for my 3500' altitude, reduce time by 10 minutes if below 1000' altitude) start timing once water returns to a boil.

----------

Easy Ground Beef

Brown 5 lbs ground beef (we use bison)

Pack into clean hot pint/500 ml jars, add 1/4 tsp salt to each jar, fill with boiling water leaving 1" headspace

(can add 1 tbsp chopped onion and 1 tbsp chopped celery to bottom of jar before adding meat)

Seal and process in PRESSURE CANNER at 10-15 lbs pressure (whatever is correct for your local altitude) for 75 minutes/pints.

----------

Baked Beans

Soak 2 lbs navy or other small white beans 8-12 hours

Cook 1/2 lb bacon, chopped and drain fat and divide between clean hot (I use pint/500 ml) jars

Sweat 3 chopped onions, add 2/3 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp salt, 2 tbsp dry mustard, 2/3 cup molasses OR tomato sauce, and 4 cups water--heat through.

Fill jars 2/3 full with beans, add sauce mixture above to each jar leaving 1' headspace, (stir to mix onions into beans)

Seal and process in PRESSURE CANNER at 10-15 lbs pressure (whatever is correct for your local altitude) for 75 minutes/pints.

----------

Mango Chutney

Boil 3 1/4 cups sugar in 1 cup white vinegar in a large pot for 5 minutes.

Add 6 cups peeled, sliced ripe mangoes (about 6),

1/4 cup peeled freshly grated ginger root,

1 cup chopped raisins,

2 chili peppers (I use jalapenos) seeded and chopped finely,

1 clove garlic minced,

1/3 cup thinly sliced onion,

And cook together for 30 minutes or till thick and saucy.

Pack into clean hot half-pint (jam-size) jars leaving 1/2" headspace, add lids softened in hot (not boiling) water and rings, place into canner and process for 20 minutes (for my 3500' altitude, reduce time by 10 minutes if below 1000' altitude) start timing once water returns to a boil.

----------

Split Pea Soap with Bacon

1 lb split peas
3 cups water
6 cups chicken broth
1/4 lb thick bacon, chopped (I cook it separately first)
1 onion, chopped
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1/2 tsp dry mustard
freshly ground pepper to taste
salt to taste
1 cup diced ham

Combine all ingredients except ham and simmer 2 hours until peas are tender, puree in food processor or blender in small batches and return to pot or use immersion blender, add ham and heat through again.

----------

Herbed Green Beans

Trim 4 lbs of green beans to approx 1" lengths and cook beans in large pot of water for 4 minutes

Drain beans, reserve cooking liquid, and mix beans in large bowl with:

2 cups chopped onion,

2 cups chopped celery,

2 cloves garlic, minced,

1/2 tsp dried rosemary,

1/2 tsp dried basil,

Pack into clean, hot jars (I used pint/500 ml), leaving 3/4" headspace, add 1/4 tsp salt and pour in cooking liquid to fill spaces (leaving headspace).

Seal and process in PRESSURE CANNER at 10-15 lbs pressure (whatever is correct for your local altitude) for 25 minutes/pints.

----------

Dilly Beans (pickles) also works for zucchini slices

Trim green and/or wax beans to fit jars
(I use pint/500ml jars)

Heat brine of 3 cups vinegar, 3 cups soft water,

Place 2 tbsp dill seed or 1 flower head dill in each jar along with 1/4 tsp mustard seed, 3 whole peppercorns, and 1 clove peeled garlic, then stuff jar with beans

Pour hot brine over beans, leaving 1/2" headspace and process jars for 20 minutes (for my 3500' altitude, reduce time by 10 minutes if below 1000' altitude) start timing once water returns to a boil.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks moolie, Your recipes look great! I can't wait to try them.
Nancy

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hope you find something that helps!

:rolleyes: I totally fixated on the "canned" convenience foods in your OP and totally missed the "freezer" bit--every few weeks I do a modified version of "Once a Month Cooking".

There are lots of cookbooks on this topic that I have borrowed from the library over the years, but my fave (and the one I found second-hand at a used book shop) is Once a Month Cooking: Family Favourites by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg.

I don't follow their "cycles" for one month, two weeks etc. but kinda pick what we want to eat and make only those recipes. But the book is designed for you to do a whole cycle (groceries Thursday or Friday, prep/cook/freeze Saturday). It also includes two-week cycles for Gluten-free, "summer", and "gourmet" so there's quite a variety of meals.

There are also lots of websites/blogs on the topic, but many want to sell you an e-book cookbook or have you join as a member so that you get emails--I've never tried any of those.

Many of the meals include meat that you freeze with marinade or sauce, you can do this with most marinades or sauces that you already cook--just leave out salt till you cook. I also double most casseroles when I make them, pop one in the fridge while we eat the other, and try to get the second one into the freezer as soon as it is cool (otherwise we eat it a day or two later).

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My standbys around here.....premade pizza pockets, home canned tomatoes and sauces, and precooked meal size frozen ground beef. The browned frozen meat can become, sloppy joe's, tacos, pizza topping, chilli, spaghetti, etc. and saves a ton of room in the freezer as well. I also catch chicken leg quarters on sale, precook, shred, and pop into freezer bags for soups, chicken quesadillas, chicken salad, chicken barbecue sandwiches, etc. also saves lots of room in the freezer and I freeze the broth in quart jars for soups, dressing, etc. etc.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good ideas Wannabefree, very helpful.

Just Me

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Don't really have recipes per se but I do have some tricks to share.
1. Any time I have any leftovers I freeze them in individual portions. They can be pulled out and microwaved quickly for a homemade tv dinner or lunch. Spaghetti and casseroles work great for this.
2. If I have leftover roast or chicken, and I always do because I cook bigger ones than I need for dinner, I then use the leftover meat and make individual meat pies like pot pies by adding potatoes (leftovers are great again) and carrots and either cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup. If the vegies aren't leftovers then I boil or steam them a little first. They do have to be cooked in the oven to cook the pie crust but are quick to pull out and throw in the oven.
3. I make my own cream of whatever soup mixes with dry milk, cornstarch, and flavorings ... chicken bouillon and sage for chicken, mushrooms and herbs for mushroom.
4. I also buy my flour in bulk so I make my own dry mixes for biscuits and pancakes.
5. When making pizzas, I make extra and prebake the crust. Then I top the ones I want to freeze and freeze them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once they are solid, I put them in large ziploc bags. They can be pulled out and cooked like a frozen pizza from the store ... only they are better because you can pick your own toppings and sauce.