CSA?

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but since it's about making some money, I figured here was as good a place as any.

I know when you buy into a CSA it usually includes fun activities and day at the farm type stuff. I don't have a farm. I have 1.25 acres, a 1950s ranch house and a crazy dog that doesn't like strangers.

Before I realized that CSAs usually included these activities I was thinking about starting a small one next year. Nothing massive, I can't support that, but right now I grow a LOT of produce and it's just my husband, myself and the poultry.

I am capable of including berries, pears, peaches, cherries, bib lettuce, leaf lettuce, snap peas, beans, pumpkins, watermelon, cantaloupe, okra, ground cherries, roma tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, turnips, broccoli, leeks, onions, scallions, eggplant, fingerling potatoes, yukon potatoes, sweet potatoes, rhubarb, cauliflower, beets, finger carrots, multi-colored carrots, zucchini, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, acorn squash, cucumbers, sunflower seeds, radishes as well as turkeys at Thanksgiving, duck, chicken and quail eggs, duck, chicken and quail meat. I can also incorporate yarn and angora fiber for those who want it.

I don't grow apples, but several times during the fall I make big trips to a local orchard, so I could easily include apples in the fall. Once I get my darn hedge planted I expect hazelnuts, wild plums, currants, elderberries and wild grapes in the next few years (assuming I do the CSA thing and continue to do it).

Do you think I could still do a CSA without all the get together BBQs and "day at the farm" type stuff?

I am taking this year to plant everything and keep track of what grows well, what doesn't and how much produce I am harvesting so I have a good idea of how many shares to sell.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
From what I have gathered about CSAs is that you can offer work shares, at a reduced price, or just regular shares, in where yo uprovide all the labour and just sell the shares for produce only. I don;'t see it being a problem if you don't want people out at the garden. Usually, some people like the worke shares as it reduces ther costs, but maybe you could offer a barter share, where they contribute something else in with the weekly baskets as a way for certain people to reduce their costs. There is a thread, I believe by neko chan about CSAs, just a few days ago, where I told her to get in touch with Me&thegals, -who has run a successful CSa for years. She responded, and asked for specific question, maybe give that thread a looksee, and see if it answers any of your questions, and mybe ask more.

With just 1 1/2 acres, you are offering alot--way to go!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Some of the farms with CSAs have events, some don't. I would not let the "agri-tainment" aspect hold you back. If you feel it reduces the value of what you are offering, sell your shares for slightly less.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can run it any way you'd like! How about offering something unique.....like flyers (hard copy in the box or an email flyer) each week with a recipe and a pic of you preparing it, or youtube videos with instructions on how to prepare stuff. I teach a nutrition-based lifestyle course and that is my biggest request.....cooking lessons. So I am starting a youtube series, mostly beginner and intermediate stuff. I think adding a personal touch is one of the things that people also look for in a CSA, they want to "know" who they are buying from.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The CSA here delivers their goods to a local health food store. There are others in nearby towns that do it differently.

Outline how it would work for you, and see if there is interest. Just remember though, what people SAY, and what they DO are often widely different. Plan for those who put money down.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
What about just doing a farm stand? Lots of people in this area setup on the roadside in the back of a pickup with produce & a handwritten sign.
This is where I am getting the bulk of my produce this year--the stuff I don;'t have room to grow. I was looking for an organic CSA, and stumbled across a woman who gardens organically (but is not certified) and she operates a farm stand. After we talked, I discovered that she grows in bulk veggies that I will need to fill my pantry/freezer. What she doesn't grow, I will put in my garden. I have committed to her to buy weekly from her in bulk most everything she grows, and we have worked out a bulk price. One thing about a CSA, is yo get the money up front before the growing season, so yo uare guaranteed an income.

The deal I have with this lady --she does not have any money up front from me, but even if I back out (which I wont), she will still be able to sell at her stand.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Some of the farms with CSAs have events, some don't. I would not let the "agri-tainment" aspect hold you back. If you feel it reduces the value of what you are offering, sell your shares for slightly less.
I totally agree! Your "members" will be as diverse as the CSAs there are out there. I didn't have any events the first 3 years. Last year we had a pesto party and a potluck, plus canning classes. All very low key. Some people love them. Some people just want to pick up their veggies and get home. The people who really want the social part will find a CSA that suits them.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I love the idea of a CSA. I am glad to see it is growing--I only wish it was in Canada. If I had the land, and the know how, I would love to start one, but I need to become a better gardener.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I think the key with a CSA is to create some sort of 'added value' even if it is not a on- farm experience.

Many include recipes on how to use some of the produce, or sell cookbooks that they have developed over time.

Mine posts a list online every Monday so that you know what you will be recieving in your box so that you have the chance to menu plan before getting your produce.

Some include bouquets of flowers weekly as well, which is nice.

I suggest that you google the CSAs in your area and see what they are offering....then find a way to be different.

Good luck.