Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Our hens started laying (well, 2 out of the 11), and we have our first dozen farm eggs! :love

We made suet cakes out of bird seed and venison fat for the chickens, but they don't like it. They like the unprocessed venison fat. Less work for us! And now we have wild bird food so I can watch birds from the kitchen window. :love

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
There's nothing like farm fresh eggs. I can't stand the taste of store bought eggs anymore.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I can't even stand to eat eggs at a restaurant anymore unless I know they use good quality. I'm so spoiled!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just found your thread. So a very belated congats on finding your place and making the move. Also, congrats on the pregnancy.

I can so relate to the house buying trials, we bought a 25 acre homestead zoned ag. Our problem was getting an acceptable insurance policy on the ag land, that our mortgage company would accept for a loan for a second home. Something about they wouldn't loan on an ag place because THEY SAID we would rely on the money we made off the land to pay our mortgage, even though our combined income was more than paid for both mortgages. Our realtor and mortgage broker couldn't figure out what the issue was, but we got it worked out. DH moved to Wisconsin Jan 1st, found the house and made an offer the second day it was listed, we closed on it in April, then DH lived in WI in the new place by himself until our house in Wyoming sold at the end of August. two mortgages meant 2 jobs, so I had to stay out there.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
WyoDreamer, we had that same problem to where the pre-approved mortgage fell through because of the ag zoning. We could have signed off a thing saying we would not have any income from it. But if they ever checked up and we sold ANYTHING, big trouble!! Are you in WI?

3 chickens laying... uh oh! I had better get cooking with eggs! LOL

No farm or baby news to relate. Working on garden plan, lots of daydreaming and waiting, as usual! :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes, we are in Wisconsin now. Sorta missing some of Wyoming, mostly my friends...

We actually wrote a note to the mortgage company stating that it was not our intent to farm the land. Don't know if it made a difference or not. I think that leaves us open to make a few small sales if we get something to sell, but we would be in deep doo if we were to quit our jobs and try to make a living off of it. Things are different too, now that the Wyoming house has sold and this is our primary residence. NO more 2nd mortgage.

I am trying to figure out a place that I can plant and grow some spinach for the winter. Trying to come up with plans for the garden this summer also. There are a couple of huge trees that need to be cut down in the garden area. Yikes!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
5 eggs laying! I learned to poach eggs. I discovered that FRESH eggs make all the difference in the world for poaching! And for whipping egg whites too! I made a cake with 10 egg whites. Yum! It was not terribly hard to make either. (What do I do with 10 yolks? Besides feed them to the cat.)

My pet dairy goat has been turning into a bully since the sheep are needing grain this winter. I separated her and her old affectionate temperament came back. Her function on the farm is that she is the only one of the goats we can catch - especially in a pasture or if lose, and the only herd animal that is halter/lead training, when we have to move goats, they follow her and it's much easier! She only has one teat, so not much future as a dairy goat.

I put a deposit down on a doe for my rabbit breeding project. I just need one more foundation rabbit, preferably a mini rex type.

Still working on garden planning... it's going to be a long process to figure out how to make it work. I'm mostly concerned with controlling harvest times so I don't get everything at once!