Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yep, but we'll be working on this a lot this year. I think it's just that lately she hasn't been around a lot of other horses. So if I can, I just might show her in some local shows next year just so she gets more used to being away from the farm.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I slept in today. I didn't set my alarm, and didn't get up until after 6:30! It felt good.

Since today is Sunday, I'm planning to take it fairly easy today. I'm going to do dishes this morning, then go to church. We're having a luncheon after the morning service, so from there I'm heading to the farm. Once I get home, I'm hoping I can move the goats, then get that dead tree down. If I can have that done, even if I don't finish the rest of the area today, at least I'll be able to do it w/out any problems. Other than that, I can't think of anything that has to be done.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
This week is going to be gorgeous, so I should actually be able to spend time working w/Misty 3 days out of 5. Tuesday I have my Bible study and doctors' appointments and Thursday I'm going over to a friend's new place to help her ID plants to make sure there's nothing poisonous for her horse. They need to do a ton of work B4 they can even move in and I think she's planning on putting in some trails. I've been dying to see the place, so I'm actually looking forward to it. And the area is an area I'd like to find land in myself.

Since it's going to be so nice out, I plan on spending as much time as I can outside and only doing housework this morning and maybe this evening. So, my list for today is:

1. Clean living room
2. Wash and hang out a load of clothes
3. Normal farm chores
4. Clean field and spread manure
5. Work w/Misty
6. Groom all the horses
7. Work on firewood
8. Work in yard
9. Work on goat pen. I think I'm going to try and get that tree down today since it's not windy. I want to get that done!
10. Feed animals
11. Iron a load of clothes
12. Put away laundry
13. Dishes

This looks long enough, so I'd better get started.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Hope you get that tree out of your way! I know is been bugging you for a while!
Bummer on the show. Bad horse days can be so frustrating!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I got her in the RP today, and she was full of attitude. It doesn't help that there's all kinds of scary stuff on the other side of the fence. And, some of it she can't see that well because of all the poke growing in spots. But, I got her listening to me and she calmed down-at least for now. :lol: I wanted to groom her as well as the others, but left all my grooming supplies in the truck the other day, so I couldn't groom. Plus, it took me longer than I was expecting to spread my manure. The problem was getting the tractor.

In order to use the tractor, I had to get it from the spot RU left it. This is the same spot it was B4, but at least now, it's dry, so getting it out wasn't too much of a problem. I just had to chase horses out of the spot once I had the tractor out. I figured the easiest way to get it into my field was just to cut thru all the other fields. What I didn't realize until I went to open the gate into CL's field from that side of the farm was that it can no longer be opened. So instead, I had to go thru PT's field, then from there, I had to get into CL's field. Then once I went to spread, for some reason, it wouldn't spread properly. I ended up tipping the spreader over to get the last of it out.

Once home, I spent some time looking for something that I couldn't find. I'll admit to killing time doing this. Hubby had to work late, and I was hoping he'd call and say he was on his way home. He didn't, so I finally went out, moved the goats, took down the fence, moved my chicken house, moved buckets and the hay feeder. Then I started in on the tree. It wasn't easy since I was using the electric chainsaw. The cord was just long enough. And, the tree was leaning the wrong way-which is why I wanted hubby to take it down. I took off a couple of branches that were lower. I decided that I was going to try cutting it up a few feet in the hope that this would help it to fall the direction I wanted.

First thing I did was cut a notch. It is not something I'm good at, but could only hope it would work. Then I started cutting from the opposite side. I will admit to being very nervous, so I went in the house and got a long rope. I was able to tie this high on the tree, then tied the other end to a post that was sunk in the ground. I cut it a bit more, then pushed it some. It moved a bit so I went and started pulling on the rope. It moved some, I even heard it crack, but nothing happened. So, I went and cut a bit more, then tried again. It moved some more and cracked more. I was going to cut some more but realized that it was starting to go over in the wrong direction! I could not get the saw back in the cut I had made and I was too far into the tree to stop, so I cut into the notch a bit more. Then, I started pulling on the rope again. By then, I was far enough into the tree that it fell-the wrong way. It hit the fence in the back as well as the corner of the overhang that we have on the goat house. It broke that, and bent some of the fence. But, it was down! Then I had to get the tree out.

Of course, since the tree had fallen the wrong direction, I couldn't reach most of it w/the saw. I was able to cut off part of the truck, then get that out. Then I was able to pull it down a bit, and cut some more off. I kept doing that until it was all out.

Once the tree was all out, I put the fence back up, put the hen house back, put the buckets and the hay feeder back, and let the goats and the chickens back in. By then, it was starting to get dark. Hubby called and said he was on the way home. I got the clothes down and talked to the neighbor for a bit. We have some other trees that I can't take down and he had a number for a tree guy, so I got that from him.

Now I'm sitting down, relaxing. I don't have any firewood in the house, but it was warm today. It's going to be even warmer tomorrow, so I'm not making a fire. I shouldn't need one until Wednesday night at the earliest, so that's a bonus. I'm beat and am planning on going to bed early tonight.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whew! Glad you got the tree down. Sorry it didn't go as easy as it could have - but sounds like you handled it quite well!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
That's why I wanted the tree to fall the other direction. I couldn't move the goat house, and I couldn't take down that fence. It's chain link, and goes all along the back of the yard.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today is going to be a beautiful day. And, I have my doctors' appointments this afternoon. :( I'm hoping I can get home fairly early from that so I can get some more stuff done outside. Tomorrow is also going to be nice, and then the temps are going to be dropping again. I still have a lot to do outside B4 the weather gets real bad. I need to get busy. So, my list for today is:

1. Clean bathroom
2. Put away laundry
3. Iron shirts
4. Dishes
5. Run some errands
6. Normal farm chores
7. Bible study
8. Doctors' appointments
9. Work in goat pen
10. Feed animals
11. Fire wood

As long as I can get home early enough, and as long as it's still nice out, I'm going to try to get some of the goat pen finished. At the very least, I need to clean it. I'm thinking of trying to finish the chicken house this week-providing I can figure out what I did w/the rest of the hardware!