Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It was. And last night I got to bed early, and didn't get woke up in the middle of the night by people celebrating. I feel rested, and am hoping to get a lot done today, even though hubby is off. It's going to be warmer, so I'm hoping that we can work together on getting some of the garden and wood done. And I'm also hoping I can get more of my field cleaned, which shouldn't be a problem. Since I have to wait for Stormy to finish eating and don't have enough other stuff to do to take up the slack, I'll clean it while I'm waiting on him. We're planning on doing some shopping, but not much. The charger is no longer working on my fence. I got it at Harbor Freight and had it for over 3 years. I don't know if it's the charger or the battery, but I can get a new one for around $50 bucks, so I'll just get a new one. So, my list for today is:

1. Housework
2. Laundry
3. Normal farm chores
4. Go shopping w/hubby
5. Clean field
6. Feed animals
7. Garden/yard/greenhouse
8. Firewood
9. Dinner
10. Dishes

That's enough for today and I should get started.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I didn't do anything in the garden or on the wood. We got home later than I expected, and it was cold out there! I really didn't feel like working outside, so I hid in the house for awhile reading a book, then went out to the farm and fed Stormy. I think he must be getting something out of the hay that I'm putting out. He's not eating all his feed, so I think I'm going to cut him back.

I got 7 eggs today! I don't know if I have 7 birds laying now, or if I had someone lay an egg after I left yesterday. KN fed for me today, so I didn't get to the farm until later. I'll be able to tell better in a few days. By the time I got there today, it was late enough so that I know there won't be any eggs left over from today.

Once I got home, I made scalloped potatoes w/ham. This is from the ham I had for Christmas, and I've thrown the bone in a pot. There's still quite a bit of meat on it, so I'm hoping I'll be able to make 2 pots of soup-split pea and lentil. I'd be freezing most of it. I also have a turkey carcass to do and I want to make vegetable beef, Rhode Island clam chowder and minestrone. That should be plenty of soup for quite some time.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Soup doesn't take up much room. I freeze it in plastic bags, and store them flat. I love soup, so it makes for easy meals.

They're calling for more rain over the weekend, then they're calling for it to get cold next week! So, I think once I get home from the farm, I'm going to concentrate on the garden. There's a bird walk at the Nature Center tomorrow morning, but they're now calling for the rain to hit in the morning instead of late in the afternoon, so I think I'm going to skip the walk. We're having our Christmas party at my house tomorrow. If I don't go to the walk, it will make my life easier. I'm planning on making and decorating a couple of cakes. I will bake them tonight, then I'll have more than enough time tomorrow to decorate them, and get any cleaning done that needs doing.

My field is more than half way cleaned. I should be able to get it all done today. I think I may try and get my feed stall cleaned out and organized the way I want it. My field is basically dry. I think I can let the horses out in the parking area today-I just need to reconnect the electric to that. That way, I won't have to worry about the horses "helping" me. I had hoped that hubby would use this long weekend to get the lean to made for my mower, but since he didn't, I need to move all the wood. I'm tired of having it like it is. It makes my life so much harder. And, I guess I'm going to have to make it myself. I want everything done. So, my list for today is:

1. Housework
2. Laundry-namely curtains
3. Wash windows
4. Volunteer meeting at the Nature Center
5. Feed store
6. Normal farm chores
7. Clean field and dump manure
8. Clean feed stall
9. Work w/Misty if I have time
10. Goat pen
11. Garden
12. Dinner
13. Dishes
14. Make cakes

This is enough for today, and I need to get started.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
God luck getting everything done! Glad you've made progress. We were woken up by fireworks and lots of noise, not fun, lol

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I didn't get everything done, but got some of it done. Doing the feed stall took longer than I was expecting. But, I can now get in there w/out killing myself. The chipboard that I had under the feed cans is now leaning against the one wall, and the wood that was under that is stacked next to it. When I finally use all of that, I'll have about 2 more feet in there.

I also got another can for feed. I normally go thru a bag a week of Stormy's feed, but w/just one can, I couldn't even fit in 2 bags. So, it meant I put the extra bags in my shed, and was then tripping over them. This will make my life easier.

I didn't have time to work w/Misty. By the time I got done everything, it was 3:30! I hadn't had lunch, and was cold, tired and hungry. When I got home, there was no fire, so I had to get that going. Then, since I had had to stop, I didn't feel like doing anything else. I finally got up and fed the goats and got the curtains off the line. I've washed some of the windows, and need to get the rest done, then get the curtains up. There's another system moving in, and I feed tired, so I may get to bed early. I don't know when I'm going to be able to do more of my garden, but it's just been too cold this week, and while it's going to warm up over the weekend, it's also going to rain, then it's going to get cold again.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today is going to be another busy day. I have my riding club coming over for our Christmas party. I need to do a bit more housework, and make a cake. Then, I get to have a bit of fun and watch a horse movie. I don't know who all is coming. A couple of people have to work and PT has to go to a funeral. Then when they all leave, I'll have to feed my animals, both here and at the farm.

They're also calling for rain to hit at some point in time during the day. It will continue into tomorrow. There's no evening service tomorrow, so depending on how late it stops, I'm going to go out and work in the garden-especially since it's going to be in the 60s! Then, the temps are going to drop again. After Monday, I won't be able to do anything in the garden for at least a week. So, if I can get done what I need to do w/out the ground being frozen, it won't matter after that if the ground does freeze. I'd be able to do the rest anyway.

OK, I need to get to work so I can have it all done.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I didn't do that much today, and hubby actually helped! We normally have the party here because of my TV. Everyone enjoys watching movies on it. But I think that next year, we need to have the party later in the day. I figured if we had it at 12:00, everyone would leave earlier than they did and I'd be able to get out to the farm while it was still light out. Well, everyone was enjoying themselves so much that they didn't leave until after 5:00! So, that meant that Stormy got fed in the dark as did the chickens.

We had a lot of leftover lunch meat. So, tomorrow I'm going to take it out to the farm and whoever is there can have a sandwich. I wanted people to take stuff home w/them, but they decided they'd rather have me do this. It's a good thing! We don't really eat lunch meat, so I wasn't sure what I was going to do w/all of it.

Everyone decided to take off their shoes when they came in. When they were leaving, they all had to make sure they had the correct shoes. There were 3 identical pairs near the door. I guess it's a good think I left mine in the basement, otherwise there would have been 4 pairs.

They liked my cake. They couldn't believe that I had actually made and decorated it myself. I don't think it's that hard to do, it just took awhile. After all, it's just a matter of putting the icing in a bag, and making a bunch of "stars" all over it. Almost all of it is gone.