Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't been on. I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger w/fleas! And the weather hasn't been helping. We've had snow, nighttime temperatures in the single digits, and rain changing to snow. Other than some wet wood, we were basically out. And, the only thing you can buy is either super expensive, or still green. So, I've been going out in the woods as much as I can w/my battery operated chainsaw, cutting wood and dragging it home. If I could drive in, it would make it so much easier, but the lane is completely blocked by plowed snow. And that takes a lot out of me. But, between what I got yesterday and today, I might FINALLY have enough, especially since it's finally getting warmer out. Other than in the woods or piled snow, the snow is almost all gone. And instead of snow, we're getting rain right now.

I'm also still trying to get my basement cleaned. I'm almost to the point of being able to start seeds. Everything that I ordered is in! And, I'm planning on putting eggs in the incubator on Sunday.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
:hugs Glad you're hanging in there! Things have been rough, but it seems they ate settling down. If we can just get through the mud season we'll be good!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Part of my problem now is the weather. It's feeling more like spring, but today, we got rain. Hubby's working and I'd planned on doing a ton of work. I just didn't feel like it. But, I did get the basement to where I can start my seeds and put eggs in the incubator tomorrow!

I've also managed to get the manure on the rest of my section of the garden. The pile is still partially frozen, but that's going on hubby's section and it's not prepped. That should be done this week.

I've been busy quite a few evenings-which doesn't help. So since I'm not getting to bed at the normal time, I don't get up at the normal time and I don't get as much done. Next week I'll be busy Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings! I'm hoping I'm not still dragging next Saturday. If the weather is better, I should be able to get a ton done outside.

FarmerD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the bradford pears are bloomin down here and temps are in the mid seventies....... you guy should visit!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - I've been bitten with the "spring around the corner" bug too... Not enough hours in the day! We had mid 70's today too...had to put on shorts cuz it was purt near HOT out there, lol!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I'm running into the same thing. It was 51 when i was up at 7:30 this morning! Crazy! I'm trying to get lots done, too. At least i feel a little better with more daylight now.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
This week isn't supposed to be so crazy. I'm only going out 1 night this week. And, our weather still continues to be crazy. On Friday, we were supposed to get about an inch of snow, if that that was then going to change to rain. Instead, we got about 3" of snow, and it rained only briefly. At least most of it has melted by now.

I'm really dragging. Hubby is working all kinds of crazy overtime, so I should be getting a lot done. But, I just don't feel like it. I had to forced myself to start seeds. I have all my veggies started, but not flowers. I hope to do that this week. I do have eggs in the bator, and they should hatch around Easter.

I lost one of my hens. I don't know what happened to her, but she may have eaten something she shouldn't have, and gotten it stuck in her throat. She was acting funny B4 she died. I put her by herself in the broody pen so I could keep an eye on her, but she managed to get out. I found her dead in the hen house the next day. Bad thing is, she was one of the barred rock I got last year to get those genetics into my flock, so now I'm having to change my plans.

I need to go back to making my lists. I get more done when I do that. So, for today I plan on doing the following:

1. Clean living room
2. Put away laundry, iron shirt
3. Feed animals
4. Clean field
5. Start digging out dock
6. Firewood
7. Goat pen
8. Yard
9. Garden
10. Dishes

I'm almost to the point of being able to stop worrying about wood for this year and start cutting it for next winter. I'm hoping that by the end of April I have it all. That would make my life that much easier.

Oh, and my DD is getting married. We don't know when yet, but it will be soon. Her fiancée is going in the army and wants to get married first. I can't say I blame him. But since it's going to be fast, they'll just go to the courthouse. Then, when they have the chance, probably next year, they'll be having a nice "wedding" in Puerto Rico, which is where he's from. So it looks like I'm going to have to find someone to take care of animals for me for a week or so.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I had trouble getting going again, but was finally able to get going. I didn't do anything at home really B4 I left.

I got my field all cleaned and I started digging up the dock! There's quite a bit in the field, so I'm wanting to get as much of it out B4 it really starts to grow.

I got some of the wood cut, but not as much as I wanted to. I'm hoping I can get all of what I have left at home I can get cut up by Wednesday. They're calling for rain on Thursday, so I'm hoping I can get the wood shed all raked out on Friday. I'm thinking of putting pallets down in there. I've never been able to really have the "floor" the way I want it, so I'm hoping this will work.

I got some of the goat pen raked up. I'm slowly getting it clean again. Some is going in the garden, some is going in bins for growing potatoes and sweet taters.

I got some of the garden prepped, not as much as I wanted, but at least I got some done.

I got some of the front flower garden cleaned up, not as much as I wanted, but at least I got some done.

I got clothes folded and put away, but didn't do the ironing.

I got clean dishes put away, but didn't wash any dirty ones.

I got a little bit of the living room clean, but have a long way to go to get it all clean.

And, I resisted the urge to get on the computer and play games when I got home. I relaxed for a bit B4 heading out, but I didn't turn on the computer. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten as much done.

Latest posts