Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Today is not going to be a nice, restful day. Hubby is working and we need a new hot water heater since ours is leaking. We've been turning it off so it won't get water all over. Right now, it's on cuz he decided to get his shower this morning. I need to do dishes. So, I have to get them done, then go down and turn off the heater. After church, I have to get my DS and we have to go pick up a new one. Then, since I haven't cleaned the area where it's going to go, I have to do a lot of work to make it so we can get the old one out and the new one in.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I got the area all cleaned up so we could get the new water heater in the basement. I kept waiting and waiting for my son to call me so we could go and get the new one. I finally asked myself, why do I need to wait for him? They'll load it in the truck. I just need him to get it out. So, I left.

He finally got here and w/the help of the neighbor, got it in the basement. So hopefully tomorrow, hubby will be able to install it. I got the dishes done this morning. I washed clothes last night and got them out this morning. Tomorrow, I'll turn the heater back on and wash a load of clothes, then turn it back off. I've wanted to turn the heater off when no one is home for a long time. Now, we're forced to. I have a feeling we're saving a ton in electric.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Yep, in more ways than one!

It's so much cooler today! It almost feels like fall. It got down to 49* last night! And, it's only supposed to get into the 70s today. I so hope they're right.

Hubby thinks he told me the wrong stuff to get to install the new water heater, so it may not get installed today. But, I have the old one on. I need to go down in a bit and throw a load of clothes in the washer.

Since it's so cool out, I'm making a loaf of bread. I used to do 2 at a time and freeze one. But, the bread just doesn't taste the same, so I only make one at a time. Problem being, when it's really hot out, I don't like to heat up the house. Plus, if I'm really busy, I just don't have the time. W/it getting light out later now, it's easier to do. So, by the time I leave today, I'll have nice, fresh bread to make lunch with.

I'm going to concentrate on getting the rest of my living room clean today. I've been getting it done bit by bit. I think I'm at the point now where I can get the rest of the junk hubby brought in out. I'll be so glad when this house is all clean.

Since it's going to be cooler, I'm hoping I can work w/both Misty and Licorice in the RP today. I don't know if my niece is coming over or not. I texted her yesterday and she said she had to help her dad w/some stuff, so we'll see.

And I need to bring home my tools. I haven't had time to start on my goat/chicken house. I'm hoping to get it all framed out today. Then, the sides will go on on Wednesday and the roof on Thursday. Then I'll be able to bring home the chickens on Friday. I miss having chickens here.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are supposed to get some cooler weather out here as well, this week; it's supposed to rain by Wednesday. I really hope that happens, because it might help put out some of the fires here in the Pacific Northwest.
I love homemade bread! I've never found a store or bakery bread that tastes quite like it. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that homemade bread doesn't have all the "dough conditioners" and other ingredients-- just flour, water, salt, yeast and simple ingredients like that.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Those fires are really scary. I don't know how I'd handle having something that big around here.

I need to start making my bread earlier. Because I had to wait for it to finish baking, I didn't hang my clothes out as early as I wanted to. So, I didn't eat until after they were out, and didn't get to the farm until after 10:00. If I had gotten there earlier, I would have worked w/the horses. I still planned to, but it didn't happen.

I was never able to do anything w/the manure in my spreader last week. So, I had to spread it this morning. And since the manure was wet, it wouldn't spread. I finally ended up turning the spreader over and dumping it. Then, I had to fill up the spreader and spread that. At least that spread. I also started to work on the fence line. I didn't get very far when RU showed up in her truck w/her string mower in the back. We unloaded it and in much less time than it would have taken me to do it by hand, we got the fence line all cleaned up! But I spent more time on that then I'd planned, so rather than trying to work w/a horse, I worked on cleaning up more of the parking area.

Since I was planning on working on my goat/chicken house, I brought home my tools. I hadn't been home long when I got a phone call. By the time I got off the phone, it was too late to work on it. So I got my clothes off the line, fed the goats and got dinner going. I had also turned the water heater on, so I got my shower while dinner was cooking, then finished making dinner, ate it and am now relaxing. Hopefully I'll be able to get a lot of my goat/chicken house done on Wednesday.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Still don't have the new water heater in. The old one is on right now cuz hubby was going to get a shower, but didn't. I need to wash dishes, then shut it off. I also need to clean the kitchen, so it should work out. I need to get that done B4 I leave. If I have time, I'll fold up the clothes I washed yesterday.

I wasn't going to go to the hay auction today since I have my appointments. But w/the way the weather's been this summer, I'm going. Last time I checked the 10 day forecast, they were calling for rain next Tuesday. If I'm not able to get square bales either this week or next, I'll try and get some rounds. I need either 65 squares, or 6 rounds to last me thru the winter and to when they start cutting again.

I'd try for the rounds today since I could get there soon enough w/my trailer after my appointments, but this is the last ice cream run for the year. I still don't have my bike. I don't know when hubby will be able to fix it. The water heater and the blower in my truck are more important right now. And tomorrow, there's no one there to load the hay. It's fine if I'm getting squares since I can load them myself, but no good for rounds.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I wish I only went through that much hay, LOL. I've got 200+ squares for the horse and mini that are in separate paddocks, plus I had a load of 22 large squares (3'x3'x8'), and then I'll top it off to 32 at the end of October to get me through. Its a lotta hay! I'm gonna be paying on those bills for a while!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
That is a lot of hay! I need about 200 total for the year. I just hope I can find the rest that I need for a good price. I don't want to have to get it in the middle of winter. I'm guessing it will be really expensive come January!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Oh crud. I had a big long response that I was typing out and I hit the wrong thing. I lost it and don't feel like typing it out again. But, I've been busy, Licorice is being a brat, the chickens aren't laying that well and I need to start getting rid of some. So, that's everything in a nutshell.