Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Had a good day. I got dishes done this morning, got a load of clothes out on the line and worked in my garden for awhile. Then, I headed to the farm. I got almost all of house #2 done as well! I decided to wait to caulk the first one. Instead I'll be heading to the farm as soon as I can in the afternoon. We're having our ladies' Christmas party at church after church. So, when I'm done there, I'll head to the farm. I'll get house #1 caulked, then see if I can finish house #2 and caulk it. Then, I'll paint house #1, and if I have enough time, I'll paint house #2 as well. I plan to stay until it's too dark to do more.

Once I got home, I left to do some shopping. Hubby was drunk by the time I got home, so I ate dinner out. I've been curious to see what the food is like in Golden Corral. It was OK, but I don't think I'll go again. I got a lot done. I got home much later than I'd planned, but now I'm able to relax for a bit B4 going to bed.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I hope to. I did some reading yesterday. If I have both of them caulked today and if I paint them first thing tomorrow I should be good so far as the rain is concerned. I should have enough time for them to dry B4 it hits. Then, I could work on other stuff, like the fence. Each one I build is a little easier to make since I learn some from each one. The last one should be the best.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today is going to be busy. I didn't quite get the 2nd house done. The party went later than I was expecting, so that didn't leave a whole lot of time to do anything. But, I got most of the nesting boxes done for house #2. I'll caulk house #1 when I get done feeding, then finish house #2 and caulk it. Then I'll paint house #1 and if the caulk is dry for house #2, I'll paint it as well. Then I can get the roofs on, and clean the field. They're calling for rain tonight, but I don't think it's supposed to be that much.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do the rest of the week. They're calling for rain on Thursday. I'm hoping I can get my chicken area done on Wednesday. Then I can get the hay stall all cleaned up on Thursday and maybe do some cleaning around my tack shed if it's not pouring. I'm thinking of taking my DD's SUV tomorrow night when I go out w/my MC group. I think I can fit a full sheet of OSB in it. If I can, then I can get the 3 sheets I need for my goat/chicken house as well as the roof that I'll need for chicken house #3. I'd run to the farm and drop that off B4 going home.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I ran out of caulk. But, the first house is caulked, the outside is painted and most of the inside! I didn't have time to do the roof, so I put some pieces of wood on top of both houses since we're supposed to get some rain tonight.

I started caulking the 2nd house, but wasn't able to finish. I'll be going to TSC in the morning and getting more. I hope I can finish caulking B4 going to Bible study. Then, when I get back, I can hopefully get the rest of house #1 painted.

I'm about ready for bed. But, I'm starting to see light at the end of this tunnel. So hopefully I will soon be able to get out of this tunnel!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
And I'll be glad when it's all done and I can concentrate on something else! At least it's not supposed to get cold for awhile longer, so maybe I can get all done.

Not going to try to get the roofs on today. It's supposed to get windy this afternoon, and that's the first chance I'd have. But, I am going to finish caulking this morning (I hope), so I can finish painting when I get back from Bible Study. I hope to have everything all ready tomorrow to put the roofs and the doors on and get started on #3, that is, providing I have the wood. I need 5 more sheets of this plywood I buy and was supposed to pick it up yesterday morning. I get there, and there's no one there! So hopefully I can get it on Wednesday early. Even if I don't have the roof, I have stuff I can put on for now just so I can get them all moved. If I have the house built tomorrow, if I don't have time to caulk and paint, I'd put the temporary roof on, then cover it w/a tarp since we're supposed to get rain on Thursday. Then on Friday, I could hopefully get it finished and get the fencing up. If I don't have it all finished by Friday, I would be able to finish for Monday.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, what size are these portable coops? I have a main coop house that's 10X12 and recently added a small portable that is nice for separating a few. I got this & 6 hens from a couple leaving the area when they got out of military....they only wanted to sell as a combo. Since it has wheels, I can move it, etc. Felt it was good for isolation of new ones OR separating for a few hens/roo to get fertile eggs. I have a similar structure that I had used to grow out guineas, now has a roo in there but, not portable...in ground posts, etc. at building.

Just wondering size you had decide upon. And, yes we will sure need pictures of these units that we've "waited" for. :)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
They're not portable. When I'm done, they'll be about 67x43. Each one will have its own pen, but they'll all be attached. For now, I'll have a rooster and 6 hens in each section. Next year, I'll add some pullets to each group. I don't know yet if I'll add 2 or 3 to each.

The end is near! I borrowed DD's Blazer this evening and went to Lowes B4 heading out w/my MC group. They had to cut the OSB I'm using for the goat/chicken house, but I got it as well as the roofing! I tried to get the plywood sheets today, but they didn't fit in the jeep, so I should be getting them tomorrow as well. That will give me everything I need to finish except maybe some hinges!

I will be glad to get the stuff out of the Blazer. I had to move the seat all the way up in order for the stuff to fit. That means I'm right on top of the steering wheel when I'm driving. I feel like a little old lady driving.

I got house #1 painted the rest of the way and got house #2 caulked the rest of the way and started painting. When I finished the one can, rather than open up the 2nd, I did some work to the doors on #1. I'm not going to try to work on #3 tomorrow, unless I paint some stuff ahead of time. I'm thinking if I can have the inside painted B4 I put it together, it will make my life easier. It's not that easy to paint. I want to have both houses done completely-including having the feeders hung up. I just won't put any food in them. And I need to straighten up the hay stall so I have room to work in there on Thursday. I'm hoping I can have all the wood cut and some of it painted. Then, it would be easy to put it together on Friday. And, it will give me something to do on Thursday. It's supposed to rain. I don't want to sit in the feed stall and watch the rain.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today is going to be busy. But, by the end of the day I should have both house #1 and 2 done, -including hanging the new feeders, the wood organized in the stall so I can work tomorrow and if I have enough time, clean my field. There's just no way I can do it tomorrow, and w/the forecast for next week, I may not be able to get it all clean next week. It could rain for 2 days in the middle of the week, and I am NOT cleaning it on Christmas! This evening, I'm going to the Nature Center and will be making a wreath. I just forgot to get a bow for it, so will have to do that later.