Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Oh well, the chickens still aren't moved. I got to the farm when I wanted to, got everyone fed, then got right to work. I got the rest of the fence stapled in place. Then, I got the fence attached to the hardware cloth. I was really making good time and thought for sure I was going to be able to finish.

Then, I started working on putting up the mesh. I worked for about an hour. I had thought that was all it would take to get done the whole pen. I'm not even 1/3 of the way done! By then, it was time for me to feed Stormy, then leave. While he was eating, I bagged feed. It's a good thing I did. I knew I needed chicken feed and knew that I'd need feed for both Misty and Licorice next week. Well, I only had enough feed for Licorice for a couple of days. So when he was done eating, I went to the feed store and got feed for both of them, then ran to TSC and got my chicken feed. I ate while I was driving.

I had hoped that I wouldn't be at work very long. After all, as far as I knew, we needed to replace a post, straighten another one, and replace a fence board. We got done the first fence post, then went to straighten the 2nd one. And the reason it was leaning was because it was actually broken, just way far down. It was extremely difficult to get the bottom of it out. We finally got it out and got the new post in. And, instead of replacing 1 fence board, we replaced 3! So, it took longer than expected. By the time I got back to the farm, I didn't have time to really do much more, especially since hubby was coming. So, I got some dirt, and put it on the hardware cloth on the inside of pens 2 and 3. I got done right about when hubby got there.

We weren't able to do anything w/the tire, so hubby took it off. I don't know what he's going to do w/it. I got the feed out of the car and in the cans. I had brought the can down for the chicken feed-it was in my tack shed, so I put a couple of scoops in the kitty litter bucket I use when I feed and took it up to the chickens. They were happy to get it.

I had to stop at the store on my way home. I wanted salmon loaf for dinner and didn't have any. I also picked up a few other things. Then, I got gas and went home. I took care of the animals, got clothes off the line, got the fire going, got dinner made and got a shower. I think I'm tired.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today's the day. I should be able to finish what I need to finish for the chickens this morning. Then, those that are coming down will come down. I'll be bringing down 3 at a time. I'll start w/the roosters. They'll each get a leg band. Then, I'll bring down 3 hens at a time, and each of those would get a leg band that matches what the rooster has. And I've come to a decision about my one chicken. This is the one that I cannot tell if it is a hen or a rooster. While rare, you can have hermaphrodites in chickens and I'm really thinking this chicken may be one. It does not have a large comb or wattles. Nor is it developing spurs. But, the tail looks more rooster like and the comb that it does have looks more a rooster's comb than a hens. I have never heard it crow, or seen it chase the hens. But, I also haven't seen it get mated, nor seen any indication that it's laying eggs. So, unless it were to start laying by Tuesday, it's going to auction. I can't afford a free loader.

Once I'm done the chickens, I'm going to collect all the baling twine I've pulled out, clean up the feed stall and the hay stall, then start on my RP! If I work really hard, I can hopefully have all of the posts in the ground by Tuesday, if not earlier. I'm not worried about getting the ropes up. I can do that later. If I get that done quick enough, I can do the fence. Or, I may work on the fence on Monday, and finish the RP on Tuesday. It's going to depend on how much I get done over the weekend. As much as I want my field clean, I'm not going to worry about it until after I get this done. I still have a ton of stuff that needs doing. But I'm making progress.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
What a day! If I hadn't taken the time this morning to wash the kitchen floor and get caught up on the dishes, I would have gotten more done. But, I'm basically doing a 2 person job by myself. Plus, today was a crazy day.

Rather than get to the farm early, I got there around the normal time. I'm driving down the lane and I notice RU and the tractor in CL's field. And then I notice CL's oldest horse was down. So, I parked, hopped some fences and went over to see what was up. At first I though he was dead. But, when I got up to him, I could see he wasn't, but he also wasn't doing good. RU was on the phone w/CL to see what she wanted her to do. He had a bad heart, so there wasn't anything that could be done for him. So, RU had to call a vet to have him put down. So, I got messed up a bit from that.

I got started on the netting. The stuff I had put up yesterday was the stuff I got curbside shopping. The stuff I put up today was the roll that I had. Only problem being, I ran out. I need one more strip. I'll have to see what I can find.

W/that done, I started on the gates. That took much longer than I expected. I got the first one done, went to hang it and found it was too wide. So, I had to take it partially apart, cut 2 of the boards, then put it back together. I go to hang it, and now it wasn't quite wide enough! At that point in time, I said forget it, and hung it anyway. That wasn't easy. I could have used some help, but managed to do it. The bottom gate wasn't quite as hard. Plus, RU came down and held the wood for me. I got that one done and hung, then got feed in the feeder and water in the waterer! It now just needs shavings and chickens.

Gate 2 wasn't quite as bad to make. But, I had trouble getting the bottom gate on. I had dig it out some to get it on. And right now, you can't open the bottom gate too far.

W/that done, I started on the top gate for pen#3. I got it all measured out, then cut it and put it together. It was too wide! So, I had to take it apart and cut off an inch. Then I checked it again. It was still too wide! So, I had to cut off another half inch. It now fits. I started working on the metal mesh to put on it. I managed to get it cut, but that was it. By then, it was dark out. I couldn't see what I was doing. So, my chickens did not get moved today. I'll be leaving for the farm tomorrow at around 2:00. I have 20 bales of hay coming at around 3:00-weather permitting. So, I'll finish it then. And, I'll be working on the goat/chicken house tomorrow as well. I'd love to have it done as well.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
It's going to get cold by mid week. I'm going to be busting my butt to get as much done today-especially since they're calling for rain tonight. I'm not doing more at the farm than I need to today. Basically, just going, feeding Stormy, getting stuff moved so I can get hay in the stall, getting the hay in, then finishing the chicken area and moving the chickens. I'm hoping that doesn't take more than a couple of hours.

At home, I'm working on my chicken/goat house, and if I have any time to spare, my garden. I'll be able to do some stuff tomorrow, just not sure how much.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today was another non stop day. I got a load of clothes folded and put away this morning B4 heading out. But once I got out, I worked non-stop.

First off, I worked on the fence. I needed to get that done B4 I could work on the house. I needed to move the house, and couldn't w/how the fence was. So, I got done what I could. That allowed me to move the framework. W/that done, I got started on the rest. And, most of it is done. The framing is almost all done-I didn't do all the ones for the roof. The window is in. The walls are up. The door is cut for the goats. If I had had time, I was going to caulk it, but I just didn't have enough time. I had to leave since I had hay coming.

Got to the farm, and got wood out of the stall so I could move a pallet. I didn't want to stack that hay on what I already had. They're not overly fond of the one kind, so I want to use that up as quick as I can. While I was waiting, I started working on the last gate. I didn't get very far.

I had expected him to bring it on a truck. But, he was also bringing 20 bales for LF. Since he had a short bed truck, he couldn't put 40 bales on it, so he had it on a trailer. So that meant, rather than going down the lane, into the neighbor's field (which I'll only do at this time of year), and thru the back field, he had to back down as close as he could to my trailer. Then, I had to put it on my wagon and take 4 bales at a time into the field and stack it. At least I had help.

Once the hay was done, I got right back to work. I was able to finish the gates for the last pen! I also got feed in the feeders, water in the waterers, and shavings in the coops. Then I went down front and started catching chickens. Of course by this time, it was getting dark. First batch was just 2 roosters. I had wanted to catch them first B4 I started to add hens. But, I got them in where they belonged. Then, I walked back up and started catching more. I was able to grab the rooster on the 2nd load as well as some of the hens. It took awhile, and was completely dark by the time I was done, but all the chickens I wanted down there are down there!

W/the chickens all in their pens, I made sure there was nothing left out. I grab a piece of 3/4" plywood and my tools as well as a scoop of chicken feed and loaded them all up in the jeep. I drove up front, fed and watered the remaining chickens and gathered eggs.

Needless to say, by the time I got home, it was too late to work on the chicken/goat house. Hubby had covered it w/a tarp, and collected most of what I still had out. It's supposed to rain overnight, but clear up about by the time I get home from church. So, if I really work hard, I think I can have it all done tomorrow as well as the fence. Then, on Monday, I can bring home the ones I want here, and on Tuesday, I can take the rest to auction!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
It's raining now, but it should be all done by the time I get home from church! So, I should be able to finish the goat/chicken house today. I'm just not sure about the roof. It's supposed to be windy. We'll see. I'd love to have that all done today. I don't know that I'd be able to get the chickens home today-unless there's no evening service. But, I should be able to get them home this week! And the ones I'm not keeping are going to auction on Tuesday. I just don't have as many as I should for the following reason:

1. I lost a few chicks
2. Something killed one of them. I have a feeling it was one of CL's dogs, but have no proof.
3. I lost at least 2 to a fox-including one of my broodies
4. I lost 2 when they got sick, including one of my broodies

So, birds I hadn't planned on keeping have been kept so that I could have the size flock that I wanted. I'll be glad when I'm able to start letting them out of the pens to free range in my field. I just need to get some fencing done. I'm just not sure when it's going to happen. I'm hoping to have my RP posts all in by Tuesday, but after that, it's supposed to get cold, so I may not be able to do the fence for a bit.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
As much as I want my RP done, I think I'm better off working on the fence. I can do a few posts every time the ground warms up. I can't do that w/the fence. I should be able to get most, if not all of it done tomorrow.

I got more of the goat/chicken house done. I made a door and in the door, I cut a chicken door. Hubby was bothering me at the time, so I messed up. I had wanted the door to open the other way. But, since he had me upset, I didn't realize until too late that I did it backwards.

I also got it all caulked, then painted some of it. I'm hoping that I can finish painting the outside on Thursday morning. That's the next day it's supposed to be warm enough early enough.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to cut the rafters, then bring them inside and paint them. I might bring the doors in and paint them as well. That way, I can put the rafters up when I get home. And, if it's not too windy, I can get the roof and the doors on. If I can get that much done, then I can paint the inside even if it's not going to be warm enough. I figure that w/the doors shut, since there's a window, it should warm up nicely in there. I want it done by the end of the week. I don't feel like feeding chickens at 2 places on the farm.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today I'll be getting the rafters cut as well as putting some pieces of wood on the doors where I need to put the hinges. I may or may not also do the nesting boxes, it will depend on what kind of time I have. Then, I'll take everything in my greenhouse and paint it. When I get home, I'll get the rafters up and if the wind has stopped blowing, I'll get the roof on, then the doors. I have one fence post to put in, just need to measure for where it needs to go, so I can get that in as well.

Tomorrow, I have my appointments, so I don't know that I'll get anything done.

Wednesday morning, I'll get the inside painted. I figure, even though it's going to be cold, it will be warmer in there.

Thursday, I'll get the outside painted in the morning, then when I get home, I can finish the fence, put the nesting boxes up, and put a feeder in where it won't be in the way, but won't get pooped in. Then I'll stay late on Friday so that when I bring them home, I'll be putting them right in the house on the roost! That will mean that I finally have my animals the way I want for now. I just hope none of the neighbor's complain about the rooster. But, since they're as far away from the neighbors as possible, and since they'll be shut in at night, I'm hoping it won't be a problem.

Today I'm hoping I can get all of my fence done. Then, if I have time, I'll mark out where my RP is going. Then, as I have the time when the ground isn't frozen, I'll be getting the posts in for that. I may be able to get it all done this week! Other than that, I'll just be doing some cleaning up. I'm hoping I can have everything done by the end of the month-including having my shed down.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
OK, I didn't do any painting. It was just too cold out. I got the rafters cut, then put them up. I knew I wouldn't have time to paint, so figured I'd just get them in place. I was hoping it would warm up more than what they were calling for. Nope, it stayed in the 30s and was windy. I didn't want to be outside more than I had to be.

Of course, w/as cold as it was, I didn't even attempt to work on the fence. Instead, I worked on the old chicken area some. I got my little houses out of the broody pen w/PT's help. She had wanted to buy 2 of my hens that I was planning on taking to the auction. W/the birds that I lost, there were only 3 that were going to go, so she took all 3. And, she wanted a rooster. She likes the one that I wasn't sure if it was a hen or a rooster. We were able to get them into the broody pen. Then, I helped her carry the cage w/the 2 birds she already had. They seem to all be getting along together. W/this done, I now have just the 5 that I'm bringing home and 2 roosters left up front. The roosters will be going to auction tomorrow.

I also got some junk out of my area and cleaned up most of my feed stall. There was a 3 tiered saddle rack in there. That has come out. I took it up front and put it in my old feed stall. That went a long way towards cleaning that stall out.

When I got home, I got the fence post in, then dug a hole for a metal post I need to get. This is for hanging the gate-which is chain link fence on a metal frame. This is the easiest way to put it up. But since it's going to be so cold out, I wasn't sure I'd be able to dig the hole if I waited.

Tomorrow, hubby and I are going to cover the house w/a clear tarp. It's going to be cold, windy and sunny on Wednesday. So, w/the clear tarp on, it should heat up the inside so I can paint. I'll be going to the farm early to feed, then go home to paint. On Thursday, I'll do the same. Plus, I'll finish getting everything ready. If I can get someone to feed Stormy his lunch, then I can go back later in the day, feed him his last feeding, and bring home the chickens! That will make my life so much easier.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today the extra roosters went to a slaughter auction. It's so nice having just the birds I want to keep.

I miss my shed. Today was much colder feeling than they were calling for. I had my appointments, so I finally stopped trying to stay warm and left early. I wanted to go to Lowes anyway. I had been feeding Stormy his lunch, then leaving, then coming back to feed him his last feeding. Today, I stayed long enough to give him his last feeding (a bit early), then left. That way, when I was done at the allergist's, I was able to come home. W/hubby's help, we got the goat/chicken house covered.

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, but cold and windy. But, w/the tarp on there, it should make the inside warm. So, I'm leaving early to feed, then going home and seeing if I can't get the inside all done. Then on Thursday, since it's supposed to be warmer, I'll do the same. I'm hoping I can get it all done. If I can, then I'll be able to bring home the chickens on Thursday! That will make my life so much easier.

I'm missing my tack shed. Hopefully, the end of the month will see it moving down. I wouldn't have minded the cold as much today if I could have gone in there and turned on my heater.