Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Well, we made it thru the worst of the storm and we still have our power! I'll be leaving in about an hour to go and check the horses. My sister in CT got evacuated.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs Glad you made it through OK Deb! Hope your sister's place is OK when she gets back to it.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, today not only did I get wet again, but it's about 10 degrees or more colder out there! I got to the farm and found that the one rope I had holding down the tarps had broken. So, my hay was getting all wet. :he So, I got the horses fed, blanketed Misty and Stormy so I could let them out, then went to TSC to get more rope. It was hard enough to cover it the other day. It was even worse today! Everything was soaking wet and the wind was blowing harder than it was then. But, I persevered and was FINALLY able to get the tarps back up. The rope hadn't broken holding the tarps to the pallets, so I didn't have to retie the sides down. And it took me awhile, but I finally got ropes up and over the hay and tied more than it had been. So, hopefully, it will hold. When it finally stops raining and the sun comes out, I'll uncover it and let it dry out. W/the cooler weather, it shouldn't (hopefully) get moldy.

Now I'm home. The goats and bunnies have been fed. I've gotten dry clothes on and am making myself something nice and hot for a late lunch. I've been home for about an hour and I'm still cold! :hit

Denim Deb

Reaction score
This morning, I fed the horses. Then, when Honey was done eating, I put a halter on her and moved her in w/RU's horses! After she was out, I put out the amount of hay that I normally put out after the morning feeding. I let the chickens out, then left. I'm getting ready to change churches and the one I'm going to start going to has a Bible study on Thursday morning instead of a midweek prayer meeting. So, I went to the Bible study. I got back later than I expected. Normally if I was gone that long, Stormy would have been waiting most impatiently for his 2nd feeding. Not today. He didn't even look up. He was too busy eating hay still. After I had been there for a few minutes, he finally decided to come over and eat.

So, I let him out to eat. And, while he was doing that, I got feed bagged, tightened up some electric fencing and cleaned Cindy's litter box. When he was done, I opened the gate and let Misty and Licky out into the parking area. Misty came right out. After all, she's used to that. Licky, however, didn't realize at first that she could get out. But, it didn't take her long. And, she was quite happy. W/all of them out, I got the electric moved around in my field so I can work on the next section of my field. I would have like to have gotten it done by the end of October. But, w/the weather, that just didn't happen. I won't be able to roto till it like I'd planned, and the best time to plant grass around here is B4 the beginning of November. So, I'm just hoping the grass will still grow.

I put out more hay, but way less than I would normally. It's so nice having just my horses in the field! I'm figuring that each RB will last me for at LEAST 3 days more! So, even though I'm giving RU more money, I'll be saving on hay, feed, time, treats, gas, etc! :weee

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
3 days longer?!! I'd be happy too! Sounds like the new situation will benefit Stormy too.

We seeded the pastures last month, but aren't holding out much hope for them - the weather turned bitter early here, and those crazy cows won't take NO (or a fence divider) for an answer :rolleyes: Not sure how Ice Cream manages to get through, and apparently, she isn't sure either. She stands at the fence at feeding time, waiting for us to 'let her back in' :p

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Are you sure you don't have a bratty pony in disguise? That sounds like something Licky would do. :lol: