DIY Laundry Detergent Victory!

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
For the longest time (well over 18 months) I have wanted to make my own detergent. You can't beat the price. Well, I have only ever been able to find Borax. Washing Soda was no where to be found anywhere in my area (I checked the Arm&Harmer website) and neither was fels-naptha or zoat soap. So I just clip coupons, watch the sales and never buy detergent for over $1.

Well, yesterday when I was at Wal-Mart getting my $1 detergent I looked over my shoulder and there, on the bottom shelf, sitting next to each other were bars of fels naptha, washing soda AND borax! Of course now I have 10 bottles of detergent to get through first, but I'll have lots of containers for when I start making my own :) woohoo!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kitchwitch said:
For the longest time (well over 18 months) I have wanted to make my own detergent. You can't beat the price. Well, I have only ever been able to find Borax. Washing Soda was no where to be found anywhere in my area (I checked the Arm&Harmer website) and neither was fels-naptha or zoat soap. So I just clip coupons, watch the sales and never buy detergent for over $1.

Well, yesterday when I was at Wal-Mart getting my $1 detergent I looked over my shoulder and there, on the bottom shelf, sitting next to each other were bars of fels naptha, washing soda AND borax! Of course now I have 10 bottles of detergent to get through first, but I'll have lots of containers for when I start making my own :) woohoo!
I looked a long time for borax and washing soda too and eventually found it at the grocery store. What recipe do you use to make your detergent?

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't know yet :)

Actually I will probably the basic soap, soda and borax with water recipe. I'm not a fancy person. I may add some Lavender EO just to make it smell pretty. But right now I have a LOT of store bought to get through.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Way to go!
Huge savings, no more plastic coming in the house, etc!

I make two gallons of liquid at a time, pretty easy to do and it's not rocket science. Lots of recipes and variations, but most of them use the same basic ingredients, so like Pat says, have fun!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm just waiting until the current container of detergent is empty so I have something to keep it in. I've told my mother and MIL to save up their containers too so I can use them.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats!!!

I have been looking for Borax to back up my stock. For some reason it's eluding me.

I use a 5 gallon bucket for my soap. Then just scoop straight from the bucket.

Fancy I know. :p

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Our Walmart has always had Borax, and until recently (the past year) had Zote. My sister just said she found Fels Naptha at their Walmart (in NC) for $1 per bar. I'm hoping ours will keep it too. Washing soda is elusive though. She's coming for a visit this weekend and I asked her to pick up a few boxes.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
There's a thread around on how to make your own washing soda. You basically low heat bake your baking soda.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i got our recipe from SavingDog's journal

oh
mi
gosh

we are saving SO MUCH MONEY!!!

we should start calling her SavingDetergent ha!

anyway - its been more than a month and we still arent thru our first batch. i think it cost about $2 to make.

and

i dont feel bad using something "so expensive" - i always dreaded filling the cup in the store-bought stuff - so i wildly just pour it in the washer with glee!

whoooot!
:)