Dreaming...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Join the club, Deb. They will probably move in Wednesday/Thursday and then we'll see what they're thinking :fl I'm hopeful, always. It's bound to happen something soon...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Perhaps you could buy other properties for rentals. Let the rent make the notes for you, plus a little extra for repairs and other expenses.

250 per day leaving Ireland, that's kinda sad. About that many a year are renouncing their American citizenship. Mostly expats that live out of the country anyway, because of the new draconian tax laws. So where is this utopian country where the government treats people as other than tax slaves? Where is this utopian country where the government is responsible and truly serves their people? What a mess world economics have turned into.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking as a future goal. Property, if you buy at the right time and in the right place, can be an excellent investment, not least because of possible rental income, but the security appeals to me also.

Last I checked 7 million whites left SA already. Some came back, but many said no way. I met some in Ireland who loved being there and said they can't live here any more. Our economy is so-so, though our costs of living is ridiculous compared to Europe and the US. There is also a huge gap between what people earn and what they can do with their money. For example an hour's wage (minimum wage) will buy you a loaf of bread here with little change, or a litre of milk and most of the time it won't pay for a litre of gas. A year's wages (minimum wage) won't buy you a running, roadworthy car here and two years' wages will buy you an iffy older model one. Property buying is for a small percentage only, the rest wait for houses from the government. Stuff like that is holding people back here.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
O.K. things are getting interesting here now. The not-good agent phoned this morning. He's got people interested, but they cancelled today's viewing and said they will come tomorrow/Wednesday. They asked that we don't sell until they've been... yeah, right. I told him that is not going to happen and that I have someone interested as well (the tenant). He didn't like hearing that LOL

Well, that just went up to three. One of the people who responded to my online ad phoned us. I send him a bunch of pics about a week ago and he wants to come look now. He's coming tomorrow. I got another promising looking email enquiry today:

I am VERY interested. are you able to send me more details, pictures etc. I would love to come have a look, maybe this weekend? We stay in Cape Town but could easily take a drive through on Saturday or Sunday to come have a look however maybe in the meantime you could sen me more details on size of property, etc as well as the pics.

Anything is possible at the moment? Fingers crossed everyone!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It does sound very promising.. I'm exited about all this activity. I have a feeling it's coming, finally!

When this sale is through life is going to get VERY interesting for me. I must confess I'm scared, it's a huge thing I'm taking on, but I feel I'll be o.k. in the end. I just need to keep my wits about me over there.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
duhdunt, duhdunt, duhdunt, duhdunt.......... or how ever you spell the jaws theme music. things are getting really interesting around your place. fingers and toes remain crossed. :fl

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We have one view today, possibly two, one coming down "later this week" and I got this email today:

9:11 PM (10 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Hi Sumi

Unfortunately the earliest we would be able to come have a look is Saturday, possibly Sunday but can I say from first glance we are we very interested in putting in an offer... however viewing the property first would be imperative.
How long has it been on the market and you say in the ad it was previously operating as a B&B does that mean it has business rights? Did you run it personally?

I ask because the idea might be to continue operating as a B&B.

Anyway thanks for the pics... I look forward to receiving your reply and meeting you on the weekend.

Kind regards
J

:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl