Electric pressure canners

Carmin Rollenhagen

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
I'm considering getting one of the electric pressure cancers but am not sure which one to get. Has anyone else tried these? Pros and Cons?

Some background- I usually am a water bath canning person, or freeze items. I have a 23 quart pressure canner but am hesitant to use it because it's old and I know it's been dropped, and I envision it exploding under pressure. The idea of an electric one for the few times I might use it sounds very nice.
Thanks for any input.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good rule to remember is

You can cook in a canner but you can't can in a cooker. they cool down differently is one big difference. lids don't seem to secure as strongly on cookers.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do bend some of the rules at times but I would consider what the NCHFP says in this case. Until they change their opinion.

I like to keep with what I have learned from my grandma and NCHFP.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would try one if it was really cheap but I'm holding out for a regular one. If the electric goes off it will still work but I think the electric ones would be quicker. From what I understand it doesn't take any less time processing though and I believe you probably could do very big batches like some canners.