electrolites?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
You can make a DIY form of gatorade, which is just sugar and salt in water. The WHO has the recipe on their website. You could probably substitute something for the sugar, if you don't want to use sugar.

The recipe is approximately 1 Tablespoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt to like a pint glass of water. At least that is how I have come to remember it. I squeeze lemon or lime in it to make it taste better. It is a great thing to drink, instead of plain water, when you need to rehydrate, because water isn't always going to rehydrate you.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Depends on how you define "major workout!" :p

For "normal" exercising, you really shouldn't need electrolyte drinks. Water should be just fine. If you are running a marathon or working hard all day in very hot weather or are a professional athlete who must compete no matter what the weather, yes, this is important. But for the average person working out for an average amount of time, using common sense and not sweating excessively, water should do it for ya! Electrolyte mixes or Oral Rehydration Solutions are really for severe dehydration. Like when you get really sick and are throwing up (from both ends...), etc. Or get heat exhaustion or such, but not really in a normal situation.

Here is a homemade electrolyte drink that is far, far better than any commercial drink. A friend who is studying to be an herbalist gave it to me when we were talking about the flu and dehydration:

Basic electrolyte drink:

4 oz water (half cup)
1 tsp honey
1 tsp lemon juice or raw apple cider vinegar
pinch of Celtic salt

Better version for the flu (make up ahead of flu season and keep the concentrate in the fridge):

Put chopped fresh horseradish root in a jar. Fill with raw apple cider vinegar.

In another jar, put chopped garlic and onions. Fill with raw wildflower honey (other honeys may contain pesticide residue, etc.)

Let both sit for three weeks. Strain, mix together, add Celtic salt. Use 2 tsp in 4 oz water as often as desired.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hey abifae, do you know if you have relatively low blood pressure?

I tend to have low, but still within normal range, blood pressure and can have dizzy episodes and have found that extra salt in my diet in general is a good thing.

Do you make sure you exercise at a slower rate just before you stop? That should help transition your heart rate.

Good luck. :)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Have you talked to a dr. about your concerns? Sounds like you are being careful and paying attention to your symptoms, which is good. :)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Well, not all doctors are the same . . . you could try a naturopath, but otherwise I have to agree with your assessment.

Have you looked your symptoms up on-line to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing and see what might help? I have had some luck doing that.