KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anyone know how to "cool down" the mustard recipe from the NT book? WAY TOO
HOT for me!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Other than pretty much doubling the recipe but not adding any more heat....

:/

What's the full recipe?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't used the NT recipe yet, but have made mustard before. Apparently, if you leave it at room temperature the heat will, over time, dissipate faster than it would in the 'fridge. So, leave it out, use it sparingly, and possibly mix it with mayonnaise or thick yogurt as you use it, to tone it down a bit.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It mellows after a few weeks in the fridge! I made a big batch, put it up in small 4 oz jars, and still have two jars left over a year later and it is good!

I made another batch by adding grated fresh horseradish and whoa, baby, was that hot! The guys here ate it up and I bought a horseradish plant for my garden to make the next batch.

Oh, and I used the NT recipe, too. I think it may be posted somewhere on this forum.

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I AM leaving it at room temp for a few days as it ferments. I'm happy to hear that it will tone down over time. Thanks!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I also made the recipe from the NT book. I used our own mustard seeds though. It does mellow nicely over time. I think I will have this jar of mustard for a few years :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Leave it at room temp for 3 days then into the fridge to mellow for a few weeks/months.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Leave it at room temp for 3 days then into the fridge to mellow for a few weeks/months.
If it is too sharp at the beginning it will mellow faster out of the fridge. Over time it will mellow wherever it is, but it goes slower when kept cool.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Any ferments that I leave out of the fridge longer than three days get moldy, so into the fridge it goes! I don't use my cellar, though, because it is musty and the temp is not consistent. One day, one day, I will wall off a portion and insulate it for a root/wine/cheese cellar.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Any ferments that I leave out of the fridge longer than three days get moldy, so into the fridge it goes! I don't use my cellar, though, because it is musty and the temp is not consistent. One day, one day, I will wall off a portion and insulate it for a root/wine/cheese cellar.
Free, may I ask, how warm is your kitchen at this time of year? Mine doesn't get above 64* in winter; I have no problem leaving most things out at that temp. In my experience an active ferment shouldn't have a problem. But maybe things are cooler here (I've been told our house is too cold for normal people ... :hu)