Finally! Garden update.

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Took like what seemed forever, but my big leafy Packman Hybrid broccoli plants have finally begun to develop crowns! Yesterday I walked out in my garden and found 2 crowns, both less than the size of a quarter. I'm hoping by the time I get back from vacation in a few weeks, they will be nice and large.

On a side note - my Snow Crown Cauliflower plants have no heads yet, and we started those seeds indoors back in February. Also, my brussel sprouts have no sprouts, my tomatos have no tomatos, and my peppers have no peppers. Hope something happens soon or this year's garden will be a giant waste of time.

At least I have lettuce.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope your garden starts producing big amounts for you. I know it sucks here when I plant tomatoes and we have a cold rainy summer and get nothing.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's weird for me to hear talk of cool damp summers and problems with tomatoes. My problem is the opposite. When the temp gets too high we won't get fruit set. We're headed for the high 90's with head indices in the triple digits - so I don't expect a lot more fruit set for awhile. If I can keep them healthy until fall they should produce again.

I do have a pretty good batch going now - the heat doesn't seem to have an effect on ripening ... thank goodness!

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
I hope your garden starts producing big amounts for you. I know it sucks here when I plant tomatoes and we have a cold rainy summer and get nothing.
We had a cold spring, so I transplanted late. Even after I transplanted our temperatures stayed in the high 40s and low 50s all the way to the end of May. I can see how that would have stunted the tomatos, but I would have thought I'd be rolling in broccoli and cauliflower right now.

The packman hybrid brocolli is supposed to get 7"-8" heads. I am wondering if I should give it a couple more weeks and if I don't have anything decent, rip it out and plant something else. I could plant some short-season radishes or just get it ready to try a fall crop.

Latest posts