Floor loom assembly??

RockyToggRanch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
valmom said:
Or alpaca. MUCH nicer fleece! ;)
I considered it, but I have my heart set on navajo churro sheep. I've tasted lamb...but never tasted alpaca. Perhaps I should taste it before I decide...

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Here's a link to a e-book about their commercial looms. They have some pictures of the old ones, so you might have an easier time figuring out what parts are supposed to look like.

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wish you were closer to me....I've put several together and have taken apart, moved and reassembled others. Looks like a great loom and you already have what looks like cotton rug warp on the back beam. Once you get it up and sleyed you could learn to weave by doing some rag rugs or placemats. They are fairly easy and you are not going to "waste" wool. Cotton is easier to work with at first and more forgiving than wool IMHO. Check with local high schools, colleges, nursing/rehab centers to see if they have looms or weavers who could help you. Check with your library for basic weaving books/videos. Are you near Rhinebeck NY? There is a huge fiber festival there every year and there have to be some weavers in the mix. Sorry I don't have contact info but google could probably help. Good luck, weaving is great and very creative. Try www.eglfc.com They run a fiber conference every two years and may have a contact near you.

RockyToggRanch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ohioann said:
Wish you were closer to me....I've put several together and have taken apart, moved and reassembled others. Looks like a great loom and you already have what looks like cotton rug warp on the back beam. Once you get it up and sleyed you could learn to weave by doing some rag rugs or placemats. They are fairly easy and you are not going to "waste" wool. Cotton is easier to work with at first and more forgiving than wool IMHO. Check with local high schools, colleges, nursing/rehab centers to see if they have looms or weavers who could help you. Check with your library for basic weaving books/videos. Are you near Rhinebeck NY? There is a huge fiber festival there every year and there have to be some weavers in the mix. Sorry I don't have contact info but google could probably help. Good luck, weaving is great and very creative. Try www.eglfc.com They run a fiber conference every two years and may have a contact near you.
Oohh...I wish you were were closer too! Thanks for the inf. I'm super excited to get this assembled and learn more! I'm not sure where Rhinebeck is...I'll look it up :) I'm near Lake Ontario's south east corner...Oswego County.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
RockyToggRanch said:
valmom said:
Or alpaca. MUCH nicer fleece! ;)
I considered it, but I have my heart set on navajo churro sheep. I've tasted lamb...but never tasted alpaca. Perhaps I should taste it before I decide...
LOL- I didn't know you wanted dual purpose animals :D I'm not sure alpacas make good eating. But their fleece is so superior to sheep I'm not sure I wouldn't just get alpaca and meat sheep. The alpaca will protect the sheep in the herd from predators, too.