food-grade plastic 5-gal buckets

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
A lot of buckets are made in smaller sizes depending on what ther will contain. Many buyers must keep the total weight below 50 lbs [I don't know if this is a OHSA edict or just for female employees] I think industrrial insurers also push this standard [feed bags used to be 80-100 pounds todays standard is 40-50 pounds.
Gamma lids are great for short term storage or for in and out storage but not for long term storage. screwing down the lid eventually will damage the seal and they are no longer tight. That is for buckets that were made to use Gamma lids, the adapter kits are even worse because there are too seals that can fail.~gd
I don't know if I'd blame this one on gender. Modern ergonomic studies show that dead lifting is likely to cause back problems in men and women. Training and proper technique helps, but the best practice is usually to avoid lifting and carrying heavy items.

Other studies of carrying loads show that fewest calories are burned and injuries are least likely when a person carries less than 40% of their weight. That's assuming symmetric load on a properly adjusted backpack, if memory serves. I'm sure the limit would be much de-rated for dead lifting, carrying, and dumping buckets in a bakery.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Maybe that's why I always have a backache. :lol: We still get our feed in 100 pounds a lot of the time. Everybody complains about them, so I bring it in myself. DD can't handle 100 pounds, course she only weighs about 125 :p I never even thought about it in terms of percentage of my own body weight...so I should only be picking up about 64 pounds max.....not cool :/