Food storage methods

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I freeze squash with good results. I slice it thin, using my mandolin slicer. I pack in food saver bags, then vacuum and seal. No blanching, just slice and bag. To eat, take out of freezer and completely thaw. You get a bag of water and mush that used to be squash, right?

Cut corner off bag, drain water. Then twist and wring the bag until you squeeze all the water out. Dust in cornmeal and fry. The squash will be crispy and delicious!

Potatoes, I make hash browns, using mandolin slicer, and blanch to keep them from turning black. Drain well, rinse in cold water, drain again, dehydrate. To use, soak in hot water for 30 minutes.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You guys gave me some nice ideas now for using squash.

I'm interested in dehydrated food, but wondering about the best way of storing it here here (Ireland). Things go mouldy here crazy quick with the damp climate.

Also what about canning foods?

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i can a lot of my food. rabbit, chicken, beef, goat and pork make good soups, stews and pot pies. i also can lots of veggies too, from asparagus to zucchini.o_O the things i dehydrate are sealed in airtight jars to keep them from drawing moisture out of the air. you'd be amazed at how many dried mushrooms fit in a quart jar. for canning Ball Blue Book is my canning go to source. and again the Food Storage books by Susan Gregersen and David Armstrong are pretty good. they cover canning, freezing, dehydrating, smoking, brining and other ways of preserving food. they even have ways to can cheese and butter. I'm going to have to try that soon.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you can get hold of a vacuum sealer, that will protect your dehydrated foods very well. I'm a little disappointed with the jar-sealing function though; sometimes the seal fails on that.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My dehydrated foods stay good in the vacuum sealed bags. I love my Food Saver!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I brought some vacuum packed goodies with from SA, but it went mouldy in the package :idunno I think I should stick with completely dehydrated goodies in future!

@goatgurl That book sounds interesting...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Truly, it's like eating summer in a jar!

I do the same as Britesea with canning chicken or deer...first we use it in a soup, then we use the leftovers in a pot pie or casserole. It just gets more flavorful with each consecutive dish. Tender right out of the jar, it requires no further cooking so you can get into soup real quick and in a hurry.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@tortoise, i can it mixed with some tomatoes and onions. grate it, put it in freezer bags and use it in zucchini bread or cake. I've never dehydrated it but i know you can.