framing fowl -daily living

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Welcome to our adventure! My husband MyT Man and I live on 1/4 acre in Lexington, KY. Along for the ride are our two dogs, Annie and Julie, as well as the chickens.

I grew up on a section of land in Big Sky Country Montana and was introduced to many aspects of ss living. DH grew up on a ranch in Oregon, then moved to Alaska for a few years before his family settled in the Willamette valley on an acre where they had a hay field, chickens, cows, and pigs.

We met at college in Kentucky and absolutely fell in love with this state. We bounced around the country for a few years before we were able to move to Lexington 4 years ago. I bought a business here so we bought a 1/4 acre in town with the intention of establishing ourselves and then moving out of town after 5 years or so.

Well, sometimes you have to take what life throws your way so last year I sold the business and am an employee again. We are currently on track move in 3 years. Our self sufficient goals are to use our current location as a test plot for things we would like to do on a larger scale after we move. We are planning on having 100 acres. 80 timbered and 20 for orchard, vineyard, pasture, and garden.

So far we currently have a peach, nectarine, pear, three apple, fig, and olive tree. We've got a strawberry patch, blackberries, raspberries, grapes, small herb garden, and vegetable garden. This summer we added chickens and currently have 4 layers, 3 pullets, and 6 roosters. (5 will be processed between Christmas and New Years). We also have a broody setting on 10 eggs due a week from tomorrow. This summer we also installed a 600 gallon rainbarrel system to water the garden.

We started with just a house and lawn. Every year we build on what we have accomplished the previous year. This winter our goals are to build a cold frame to start veggies earlier in the spring than I did this year. We're also looking at putting in a pond. We will also be reviewing our emergency preparedness plans. The other thing I want to do this winter is get my peach tree properly pruned.

As far as that long questionaire: I'll sum up some of my general thoughts. I keep a gun under my bed. We do own a television but it is only hooked up to the dvd player for movie nights, we don't watch broadcast tv. I read a lot, I'm usually reading something non-fiction such as gardening, cooking, autobiographical, or political as well as a fiction murder mystery or thriller. I'm tall, don't like to swim and prefer dogs over cats. My musical tastes are all over the board except for rap. I enjoy Johnny Cash to George Strait to Cherry Poppin' Daddies to anything operatic. I am a custom picture framer by trade.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! I can't quite believe it has been so long since I visited here.

We still live in rural Virginia. Sadly, our dog Annie passed shortly after Julie. We got a puppy last year that we thought was a lab mix. Daisie Mae turned out to be border collie/jack russell mixed. She was a handful! She's about 18 months old now and settling in to be a good dog.

MyT Man has been buying and selling used tractors and equipment which has been fun. Right now I have a Ford NAA and a diesel Ford 231 for around the place. We're using them to clean up 2.5 acres of forest to turn into pasture.

Over the course of the past two years, I had chickens again but had coons get them and I was traveling a bit for work. We decided on a design that will work for MyT Man to care for them easily while I'm away but don't have it built yet.

I had a small garden but need to move it to a little more shade and build up the soil. It's really sandy here and it was hard keeping everything moist enough, even with mulch.

This years projects are fencing and clearing forest.

I recently picked up some fermentation weights for wide mouth jars. I haven't done much fermenting the last few years and would like to get back in the habit. I'm hoping that getting back and active with this group will spur some kitchen creativity.

Attachments

• 20200228_185813.jpg
    20200228_185813.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 194

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
It's been awhile. I'm looking forward to getting to know the newer members and catching up with old friends.

I had changed careers and needed to go back to college so we were in Idaho for four years. Finished up two years ago and ended up in the Northen Neck area of Virginia.

We are thrilled to be in the country on 4+ acres instead of the 1/4 acres yards we had in KY and ID. We have chickens again. I started a garden this year. It's small and wasn't really in the plans for this summer but just kind of happened! I've also got blackberries and raspberries started.

We've been busy clearing brush and generally cleaning up. We've also been busy picking up some old equipment and getting it into running condition again.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi FF. I'm relatively new here. I hadn't read your profile before, so I read page 1, then skipped to 2012, then current. Really interesting journey you're on! Not many are all over the country like you are. I've been all over too, but I think we might be settled now in northern Alabama. You're way ahead of my on ss skills though so I'll be looking forward to reading more of your posts. Welcome back.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Another fun thing is we have been able to invest in some older equipment and MyT man is buying and reselling old tractors and farm equipment.

We have a Ford 2000 with a bucket loader and a Ford NAA. Last weekend we serviced a Ford post hole digger. Today I got to use it for the first time!

We have a partially shared drive with our neighbor. We also have an easement through the middle of our property for a neighbor behind us. Part of our drainfield is within the 20' easement. We are putting up a fence ( with the neighbors agreement) so the septic line doesn't get driven on.

I put in three holes to test it out today. I'll get the other holes done soon. Mostly we just wanted to make sure it worked. We have a couple of other projects in line before the fence.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
FEM, the Palace King falls in the category you mention. They're some kind of crazy weird looking to me though. Probably another reason I haven't grown them in the past.

Guess it's good when we try new things on accident and it turns out good!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I was pregnant with my daughter, I was craving cucumber in the worst way... but I couldn't handle the returns. My mother peeled and quickly sauteed a cucumber with butter and a touch of dill. It was fantastic... and no burps!