Free heat

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That is so cool! If the windows were right for my tack shed, I'd use this for heating it. Wonder how it would work in my green house. While I don't use cans, and don't know of anyone that does, I could probably trash pick them at the hay auction.

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You could use 4" chimney pipe instead of pop cans.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
That is so cool! If the windows were right for my tack shed, I'd use this for heating it. Wonder how it would work in my green house. While I don't use cans, and don't know of anyone that does, I could probably trash pick them at the hay auction.
Those kinds of cans (beer & pop cans) are "returnable" in Canada, meaning you pay a deposit of a few cents on each one and you get that back when you return them. I'd think it's similar in the US.

Okay, so X number of cans are worth a certain amount when returned. Not a lot of money! Could you not go to a nearby store that sells beer or pop and just buy back (from the store) however many returned cans you needed? Being able to maybe pick and choose ones that are not crushed or dented too badly? If you pay the store proprietor or manager the cost of the cans, should be do-able, eh?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
There are some states that do that, but not here. They did when I was a kid. I can remember looking for cans and bottles when I was a kid that people had thrown out their car windows. And, since I'm not doing it yet (don't have the time), I have the time I need to get the cans I'll need.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
There are some states that do that, but not here. They did when I was a kid. I can remember looking for cans and bottles when I was a kid that people had thrown out their car windows. And, since I'm not doing it yet (don't have the time), I have the time I need to get the cans I'll need.
Cans in Michigan have a ten cent deposit. Thankfully my nephew lives in Illinois where there is no deposit. He saves them for me and I pick them up when I visit over the holidays. I just came back after Xmas with over two hundred. I am currently planning to build another heater for a solar dehydrator. Still in the design stage for that one. The heater for that will be about 6 feet tall. Lots of cans and at a dime each it would get pretty expensive.
:)

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I figured that as long as this thread is active again I would post a picture of the actual heater.

1491_dsc00093.jpg

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm I'm thinking greenhouse heater. I wonder if I added reflective panels if it would produce more heat?

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
Hmmm I'm thinking greenhouse heater. I wonder if I added reflective panels if it would produce more heat?
I think this would work well in a greenhouse. The taller the unit the more heat it will produce. Mine are relatively short.
The solar dehydrator I am designing will have adjustable mirrored doors that will direct morning and evening sun directly to the panel and protect the glass surface when not in use. They will be like shutters that can be positioned to collect additional sunlight and I think they will actually improve performance. Haven't tried it yet so I cannot say for sure.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If I were using his method of melting-out the hole in the bottom with a torch, I'd have a fan blowing the fumes away from me. Even if I were doing it outside. You don't want to breathe aluminum fumes! :sick

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is why I chose a hole saw. Saved all the plugs and shavings for recycle.