Freezing Corn On The Cob

Candy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If I freeze corn while still on the cob do I need to cook it first and for how long?

fair weather chicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ball blue book says 8 minutes blanching for 2 dia. corn in 6-8 quqrts of boiling water start count when put in cool in cold water for same amount as blanch time dry corn. we wrapped our ears in plastic wrap then into freezer bags. taste of summer this winter when the snow flies.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Okay, nobody shoot me..... but here's an alternative. I have been known to simply throw fresh picked corn in a heavy duty ziploc bag and stick it in the freezer without shucking or cooking. :hide I wouldn't try it if it were anything other than perfectly fresh.

It still tastes good months later. Last week I had some of last summer's corn that was frozen that way and it's still mighty tasty. Not sure if the variety matters or not...

I've done the blanch and freeze method too and while it's probably the "preferred" method, this is a darn good alternative.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't do anything. I shuck, bag and freeze. I have tons of corn in the freezer. We eat it all thru winter and just make our next crop when I about run out.
I also cut some off the cob and make bags of fresh cut. Do nothing to it also.

tastes delish.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Never done it myself because we always just eat it fresh, but my Mom always did as above--no blanching, just into the freezer in ziplocs.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
How does it taste when you do it that way? I've had it when it's been blanched, and didn't care for the taste of it. It tasted off. :sick

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I 'nuke' mine, slather it in butter, salt, pepper and maybe even some parmesan cheese and it's YUMALICIOUS! :drool Gotta go check the freezer....

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
How does it taste when you do it that way? I've had it when it's been blanched, and didn't care for the taste of it. It tasted off. :sick
It's been a while, because as I say it's something my Mom does, but I think it tasted pretty fresh.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe I'll try a few ears that way. To cook it, do you need to thaw it out first, or just throw it in a pot of water?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I nuke mine...even though I'm trying to get away from the microwave as much as possible.... A nice pot of boiling water would probably be perfect.