From tech founder to sustainable farmer

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
"No offense but you're self righteous"... Not sure how one could not take offense to that. :idunno

I have a feeling I missed something..... If expressing one's faith and liking it when others and I can share is deemed self-righteous, I'll take that offense and wear it with honor. ;) No offense taken at all and no offense was meant by me, either.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think Sumi would prefer we not rehash it here :)

It's hard to make a living farming. It seems like the Tyson growers don't do very well either for sure! And not how I would want to raise my animals.

I've changed course many times trying to figure out what's sustainable and what's not, what's worth the effort and what's not. Constantly learning new things!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm sorta with your hubby...when I hear the word "homesteader" I automatically picture a lonely claim in the midwest with the man plowing the sod while the wife boils laundry in a huge kettle on a fire fueled with buffalo chips. :D

Other than on these forums, I never call how we live homesteading, as it's just frugal, sensible living to me and what most folks should be doing if they possess any amount of land on which to do it. It just makes sense.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I sell eggs and lamb. I sold excess squash from my garden this past summer, I've sold a few jars of sweet pickles and green tomato pickles. I expect to grow my "farm" but will never be able to make a living from it. If I can cover some expenses, then I am way ahead of where I'd be if I did nothing but spend money on my garden/animals for only myself.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I like that. Most folks are hoarding all their food right now, preppin' for the Apocalypse, but I too like to grow extra to give away. I don't plan on being here for that event and no amount of food will make someone survive it, so it just makes sense to grow what you can eat for a year or two, anything beyond that can be shared.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion everyone should share but also put up and set aside things to be a good steward. I also hate to waste anything so I like to dehydrate, can or freeze leftovers.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
"No offense but you're self righteous"... Not sure how one could not take offense to that. :idunno

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have no idea if you saw the rest of this thread before it was deleted... I hope you don't think I was calling you self righteous. That was a response to someone else...

No, I didn't think that. :D I kinda got the drift of what had been said without actually seeing who or what said it, but that's okay...I can do without seeing it. I thought your comment was pretty apt, though...and sort of funny. :D

I probably shouldn't have commented, it just struck my funny bone. :D