!!! FROST !!!

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had our first frost on Thursday night :th 6 weeks before we normally should. It appears to have been very localized and we were among the lucky few that got hit. Cukes, beans, and cantaloupe are done. Tomatoes took a pretty good hit but the plants had a lot of foliage and only the outer layers seem to have been affected. It doesn't appear that any of the fruit ( what little there is ) was ruined. It looks like the corn is going to pull through also. :fl
What a lousy growing season. :hit

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
You just used the "F" word! :th

It's been so cold at night here, I'm surprised every morning that I don't wake up to frost.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Oh My Goodness! Sorry to hear that UJ! :( Were you able to salvage anything?

We haven't gotten cold enough for frost yet - 40 is the lowest we've been so far.

prism

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh no!! So sad!! :( I know your frustration. I grew up in New England with unpredictable weather and moved to another unpredictable weather state (MT) about 20 years ago. I've seen a foot of snow mid-June ruin everyone's garden, hail storms in August (severe enough to demolish house roofs so imagine how it killed the gardens), and all sorts of other bizarre havoc creating weather.

I am so sorry!

Reaction score
At least some of your stuff made it. We have a pseudo green house. Really just a 24x48 hoop structure that we cover with 7mm greenhouse film. It's open on the ends and lets air flow through. We just use it f or tomatoes. This year we had a bumper crop. Everyone else had low yields because the temps have been so low this year. Our greenhouse stays about 10 degrees warmer than the ambient temp.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
You just used the "F" word! :th
Funny QA

From what I am reading (based on the farmers almanac) its not going to be a pleasant winter for you guys up north. Not for us Southerners either but ours will never be as bad as what ya'll are apparently looking at. Seems this year the weather forcasters for TV and the Almanac are at odds. Everyone else is saying mild due to El Nino (not sure thats spelled right but Dac is back and will let me know). Almanac says bad.

By the way. Everything north of Mississippi is UP NORTH to me.

Sorry UJ - hope you can salvage more than you think you can. It has been a really frustrating garden year for most of us.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it, glad you didn't get hit harder though.

We came within about a degree of frost last week, but I put sheets and boxes on the tomatoes if the forecast is even remotely suspicious-looking this time of year.

Up here anyhow, the long term forecast is for a mild (dryish, warmish) winter... but if you look at their historical reliability on those long term forecasts around here, it is not really much of any better than coinflipping, so I am trying not to get too attached to the notion.

Practically all winters are unusually nasty in *some* respect, anyhow, given that there so many different ways for winter to be a problem :p

Pat

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ernie and I are expecting a bad winter. Guess you could say we feel it in our bones. I'm not looking forward to frozen waterers and we're concerned I'll have predator issues this winter. Last winter, we didn't lose any poultry/livestock to predators. I am praying we can say the same this winter.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Wanda....what does it say about us south westerners, California in particular?

BTW...You got El Nino correct :thumbsup

We usually do not get frost here until late November and our last frost is mid March.