Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Hqueen!

Been there, done that, Deb. Only, I've been lucky that most of my horses have tolerated their foot soaks pretty well. Red was none to happy about it - mostly because goats abhor water! But, I tried to make it just the right temp and she tolerated it fairly well. What she did NOT like was me trying to clean it out...and it's deep....probably about a half inch at the heel portion.

I was busy, busy, busy before work today. On top of regular feeding chores I treated the babies with Ivomec pour on - saw some lice eggs on 'em yesterday - ugh. Gave Lil Bit an iron injection and booted her back out to the pasture, then gave Red a shot of penicillan. She's got some swelling in that foot and I kinda hate bandaging a wound like because of the possibility of trapping some yuckies in there - hence the antibiotic.

Made a breakfast casserole last night to help me stick with the low-carb stuff. I'm so busy in the mornings that I have gotten into the habit of driving through the donut shop and grabbing a sausage kolace before work. I HAVE TO STOP THAT! So, I spread some pan sausage out in a casserole dish, pre-baked it a bit, spread some cream cheese on top, added a thin layer of sauteed onions and peppers, poured on some beaten eggs and baked it until set. When it came out of the oven I sprinkled it with a little bit of grated cheese....OMG! Now I've got breakfast for DH and I for the week. Cut a square, nuke it for a minute and "voila" hot low-carb breakfast. Pretty tasty too. I'm gonna try to think of some variations so I don't get bored with it.

OH! I've got seedlings coming up. I didn't check everywhere, but I do have some of my tomatoes that I direct sowed sprouting through. Woo Hoo! We're supposed to have a drizzly day today with a possibility of thundershowers tomorrow. Garden needs it so I'm not gonna complain. Just hope we don't get a frog choker! Weekend is supposed to be nice so I'm gonna try to get my scalding pot out, off a few roo's and try out my new plucker. I'd like to get some broth canned up but not sure I'll get to that. If nothing else I can freeze 'em until I have time.

Geeze, I have such big plans and so little time....

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Your plans sounds as ambitious as mine do, I'm lucky to get half of it done!
Hope the door gets better. Tough wrestling with dirt too.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hope Red starts doing better soon!
I wish I could direct sow my tomatoes! Come to think of it, the most vigorous plants in my garden every year are the volunteer tomatoes...hmmm...maybe I'll try throwing a few intentional seeds in this year and see how they do...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks, ya'll! I think Red will get over it - but I don't think it's gonna be quick. :( Poor girl.

Ya know, sometimes I think the www is the best thing that ever happened to life in general - and sometimes I think it's the worst. WHY am I looking at Nubian bucks? I love, love, love the moonspotted bucks and so I've been corresponding with a lady that has tons of moonspotted goats....and I'm THIS close to mailing her a deposit. ARGH!

I mentioned it to DH, kinda in hopes that he'd say "what the heck are you thinking" but he didn't... (I love him!)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm planning to try direct sowing of some maters as well. Other things, like peppers and egg plant, I've never had any luck with, but I almost always have volunteer maters. And they generally do pretty good.

Oh, and that breakfast casserole sounds :drool. I'm going to have to get some sausage and try it. But, maybe I can separate some eggs and have a meringue on top.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I have a recipe for breakfast casserole that has hash brown potatoes on the bottom that I really enjoy. I wish I knew how to make the potatoes crispier, but when you make the potatoes from scratch that isn't easy...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I've tried that one hqueen...we had it for Christmas morning and it was really good. Unfortunately, not low carb...:(