Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Oof that's tough. Sorry you've lost so much. I'm glad you still have things hanging in there!
Can you share your recipe for the dried okra? I'm growing it this year and have a feeling I'm gonna have way too much!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Britesea just might be right that this is something that is just running rampant in the garden now. But, there are still some things that look ok. AND - a couple of the tomatoes are looking better so I started trimming today. The ones that look really bad I'm cutting all the way back. They'll either come back or they won't... Some of the others I just trimmed up and I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed. I'm going to do the same to the peppers. Gonna put some black-eye peas where the pole beans were because they will thrive in the heat. All is not lot - but my garden plan has SURELY changed!

HQ - there's probably "recipes" out there for dehydrated okra - but all I do is slice it, salt it and dry it. A couple times I experimented with different seasonings like a Cajun spice called "Tony Chachere's" and another time I used a little cumin. They're all tasty - but we usually default to the plain salted ones. I tend to cut mine on the diagonal just to get a little more surface area for the salt. Also, if you cut it too think it'll practically disappear in the dehydrator, lol. I'm guessing that I usually go about 3/8 - 1/2 inch thick... Just dehydrate 'em until they're crunchy and OMG enjoy!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's a thought! But you'd have to sign a release absolving me of any responsibility in case you become a cokra addict! :lol:

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Lol That sounds really yummy! Do you wash it before starting it to rise the slime off or just salt it right away? I'm so going to have to try this!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I usually rinse it, slice it, salt it and put it in the dehydrator. No slime at all with this procedure!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My life has been spinning out of control for the last couple weeks. A dear friend came down with a devastating illness two weeks ago and she passed last night. Hardest part was that the first week no one expected her to live and the last week we ALL, including her Dr, thought she had beaten it. I was with her last night - about to serve her dinner when she passed. Totally unexpected, completely devastating, and mercifully fast.

But, I came home and found two new babies. Kind of a reminder that life does go on...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's rough. Are you OK? :hugs And how is her family taking it?