Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hope you are feeling better soon, hot tea and sleep. glad your thanksgiving was good though.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks gg! Woke up still feeling like 'caca' but life goes on. I've diagnosed myself with a sinus infection - complete with all the nasty green... (you get the idea). I really wanted to get some gardening done today but I'm pretty sure that my head will explode if I do much bending over so I'm gonna save that chore for another day. However I fully intend to finish that pallet road today. The pallets are all modified and just need to be laid out. We've got possible rain in the forecast so I really need to get it done.

I kind of shot myself in the foot when I put in the new driveway back to the barn. The property drains in that direction and I pretty much built myself a nice dam. Holds water pretty well too - and in the worst spot on the property....grrrr. I've dug some nice drainage trails through the driveway material which keep us from any actual flooding - but it is still nasty. I think eventually we will do it right and install some nice pipes for drainage under there. Thankfully we couldn't afford concrete or asphalt - just concrete washout material which we can dig through with some effort.

I promised the neighbors some quail so I need to see if they've got their cage ready. It'll get a few of the birds off of my feed bill. They love quail eggs so instead of giving them all my eggs I'll give 'em some birds that THEY can feed and take care of for their own eggs, lol. Is that evil of me?

Chanel's production has dropped dramatically the last 10 days or so. Not sure what's up with that. Her 5 month old daughter is still living with her but she's been weaned for quite a while now....but...I've noticed her trying to sneak a drink the last couple days so I'm wondering if mama has been a softy and let her nurse again.

I've been lazy enough this morning, I guess. I need to get outside and check on the sick/injured chicken and throw some feed out at the others.

Happy Sunday, ya'll!

Last edited:

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Hope you're feeling better by now! If not add lots of honey lemon tea!
I like the idea of the pallet road. I'm going to have to remember that!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks HQ :hugs

Went to work yesterday and did pretty well most of the day - just got tired towards the end of the day. Got in the hot tub last night and for the first time EVER I can say I don't think it did me a bit of good. The warm water felt great, but the chemical odor irritated my throat and I coughed all night last night, woke up with a raw throat, and called in today. I HATE calling in sick.

On top of all that my mom called last night to tell me she's got a big melanoma on the back of her head. Docs are obviously concerned, they're rushing to surgery (out-patient) to get it removed. Probably this week or next. They'll let it heal for about 3 weeks and then they're projecting 5 - 6 weeks of 5 day a week radiation. Geeze louise - can this year get any more stressful?

My dad doesn't drive at all anymore, mom only drives close to home, and of course the treatment center is NOT close. My brother, who is disabled and doesn't work, will do most of the taxi-ing, but I need to be able to relieve him occasionally. Problem is that it will be an allll day ordeal for me. I'll have to leave here, drive a little over an hour to their house to pick them up, drive another 45 minutes back in this direction for her appointments, 45 minutes back to their house to drop them off and then an hour + back home. Add the appointment time to that and it'll be 4.5 hours driving and a couple hours sitting. I'm more than willing to help - but my sick time is disappearing quickly. I took a lot of time off for DH's wreck and subsequent injuries.

My mother has lost a sister, a sister in law, and a friend all in the last month. She's been a mess for the last few weeks - and now this is adding immensely to her anxiety level.

Not much else to report on this time of year. I think I've bred all the does I'm going to breed - but ya never know, lol. I see a doe in heat and my mind starts whirling. I'll be totally re-doing my garden areas this year, so that will be an on-going project. I get a couple weeks off at Christmas and if I'm not dealing with mom all that time, I hope to get some new garden beds taken care of.

I feel a nap coming on ...

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Oh my! Take care of yourself! If you don't then you'll be of no use to yourself or anyone else.
Best wishes for your mom, I hope it is smooth and easy.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's rough. At least when I take my parents anyplace, I live close to them. And, the farm's even closer.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have an apt for a consultation with the oncologist on the 11th. Guess we get some info and move on from there.

Can't remember if I mentioned it, but a couple months ago one of my female Pilgrim geese went missing. I briefly wondered if she was sitting on eggs somewhere, but it's waaay early for them to be laying so I thought she was just "gone." Well, today she's not gone anymore. She's baaaaaaack! She came back hungry, and grouchy, but she's here. And to commemorate the occasion one of the males disappeared....geeze. I found him a couple houses down so I had to rescue him (against his will and with a net) and bring him home. Clipped his stinking wings while I had him caught. That'll teach him to fly away, huh?

DH is out of town tonight so I didn't even cook dinner. I had a salad and some ice cream (don't tell, lol) and I'm gonna hit the hay early tonight.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Came home early from work today, but had to buy feed on the way. Ended up with 13 bags of feed to unload. And, I've really lost faith in my local Steinhauser feed store. They've been under going management changes for awhile now. Just so happens the newest manager is someone I know....and....geeze....the store sucks now more than it ever did!

Five of the last six times I've bought feed my order has been wrong. I take a tiny bit of responsibility because I haven't checked every feed tag to see if I got the right thing, and their feed bags almost all look alike. They only way to really tell what you're getting is to check the tag, which are sometimes already ripped off....GRRRRR. My sin is letting the boys load it up while I'm chit-chatting with the new manager. AND, today my conversation with him was all about how screwed up my orders have been lately! Okay - rant finished.

Got 7 eggs today - yippee. Looks like the girls are getting the message and have decided not to become chicken soup! But, that's not going to hold true for a bunch of young roos out there. They need to be turned into broth the next nice weekend. Problem is that I will be working for the next two Saturdays. Hoping I find time anyway - if not - I might just turn 'em into dog food because I want them OFF my feed bill. Famous last words....

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hope things go well for your mom. i was hoping after you said that your goose was back home you were going to say she was dragging half a dozen goslings with her, then it would have been ok that she apparently kicked the man of the house out and down the street.