Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Service was heart-wrenching...glad it's over.

OMG! Came home form work today to find all 4 big bucks out with alllll the does. This was one purebred Nubian buck, one purebred Pygmy buck (ok, he's not so big) and two F-1 Kinders....with allllll the does. They were with Nubian does, kinder does and pygmy does. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! It was only slightly hilariously ridiculous to try and catch them while floundering around in the mud and the muck. Two of them are friendly and easy to catch. However, 'easy to catch' doesn't mean easy to get back into their pen. I have discoveed that they lead a lot better with a sheep halter than jut a collar and leash. Soooo, first I catch Dusty, the Nubian He's a sweetheart - usually. Not such a sweetheart when I'm trying to get him away from 18 does. He planted his feet and absolutely almost refused to move. But, eureka(!) there is something beneficial about mud. Goats slide in it, lol. So, I literally drug poor Dusty back to his pen. Then I drug Short Stuff, and Dred and Drill Bit...all of them planted all four of their feet and refused to walk. But, thanks to all that wonderful mud I just kinda skiied them all back to their pen.

Now - one might think that I left a gate open or something silly like that. Nope! I think some horses had itchy butt-itis or something because every staple in that fence post was popped out and there was a nice big gap (because the panel was open at least 2 feet wide) that these fellas just romped right through. And, because the stock panel was pushed INTO their pen it makes sense that the force came from outside. So, now I get to try and figure out if the Nubian buck bred a pygmy doe - argh! I have Lutalyse so I can use it if necessary. I'll have to watch these gals pretty closely for awhile. One more thing to add to my 'to do' list. Oh boy!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like fun. Can you tie the panels to the fence post as an extra precaution?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's the first thing I did as soon as I got all of them back into their pen! They were none too happy with me either, lol.

I love my neighbor! He called me yesterday and asked me if I wanted some used t-posts for $1 apiece. Well, heck yeah! So, now I've got 50 new (to me) fence posts. They're the long, heavy duty ones and are in good shape. And, while he was over here unloading them he jumped off the tractor for me. I had left the key turned on the other day and totally drained the battery. Ugh!

I found a few minutes to work on some pallets to make a 'bridge' through some really low spots. Basically, I just cut 'em in half so they would go twice as far. Better than slogging through the mud all the time.

Today was absolutely beautiful! Two days of sunshine in a row is pretty amazing. Yesterday I was still wearing a couple layers and a coat in the morning - by afternoon it was down to just layers and no coat. TODAY - short sleeves! Crazy stuff, I know. Down side, is more rain and cold predicted next week... brrrr.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
They're calling for up to 2" of rain here today. :(

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dang! Sounds like a muddy mess! Glad to hear you could get them back in relativly easy though :) also glad someone helped out with the jump :D

Its been super rainy out here too and the weathers been up and down :I hoping it all smooths out soon for both!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
kind of hard deciding who to kill first, the horse who scratched its butt or the bucks who found the hole. good luck figuring out who, if anyone did what. maybe you'll luck out and no one will have been in heat.
and yes, yes, yes on the warm, dry and sunny weather for the past two days!! I'm lovin' it

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No joke, GG! Better day today. Still nice and sunny...totally comfortable during the days and cool enough at night for hot tubbing. Now, if we can get about 6 solid weeks of sunshine it might, just might dry out!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nix the six weeks of sunshine...it's gonna pour on Thursday...

I'm in DH's car today because he has a nail in a tire. We've had this car about 3 months and we've already gotta buy a new $300 tire? GRRRRR! He had it checked out yesterday and they can't plug it because it's so close to the side. AND, because it's a super-duper rare model of Volvo and has special fancy-dancy tires NOBODY has them in stock. Even the Volvo dealer had to order one. WHAT?? It'll be Thursday before they get it in and probably Friday before he can have it mounted. Geeze, I told him he should have ordered TWO just so we'd have an extra. OH, and they don't put spares in these new cars.... :hu

He had to go out of town yesterday and didn't want to come back to the airport and have a flat so he took my truck to the airport. I could have just taken him, but I thought it would be ok for me to drive his car today since I only have an 8 mile drive to work. They over-filled the tire yesterday at the tire shop and I checked it this morning before I came in. It IS leaking, but very slowly. I guess I could just put a can of 'flat-fix' in it if it gets real bad.

All of this on top of the 4 new tires and wheels that I just sprang for on DD's truck....

Sheesh - the things we go through...

Countdown is on for kidding...problem is that the countdown is still at least 5 weeks long. I'm kinda glad I don't have any due any sooner because of all the flippin' mud everywhere. If a baby was born now it might actually disappear never to be found again!

Nuttin' much else going on right now. Might start garden planning or at least thinking about it! Nope, no procrastination here folks!