Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice to have good help!! My dog tries to help BUT she thinks when I call the mares and want to herd them to another field that they are attacking me.........She's a little 8# minpin and is certain that I need them to go the other way for protection.

Wanna trade? :oops: Would be great if she could just understand the process. She's not that type of dog, so I forgive her! Good announcer of people approaching!! She's loved!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She surprises me all the time! She rounded up some chickens a couple days ago after DH left the gate open... put them right back in their pen. And, she KNOWS what critter goes where. Some silly birds hopped over their fence the other day and joined in with the general population... so, she put 'em back over the fence. Blows. My. Mind.

Your minpin sounds like a lot of fun, lol, but I'm gonna hang on to Ms. Gracie! :p

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Isn't an English Spaniel a "farm dog" -- that is was bred and used as actual farm help? Like the LGD's they have a job and "do it" really well. Molly is a lap-dog -- and does that well! -- plus the official "announcer" of company. Protective. But, next time I add a dog to the family, it will be of the "farm" type which is the collie, spaniel types (in general). They instinctively are the herder & mild protector type.

When we went to some large goat farms in TX years ago (Boer days) I watched in sheer awe at those border collies work. WOW. Various dog breeds just have & know their jobs. The ones trained for drug, rescue, our military, awesome animals.

DH & I had a couple teacup poodles. One of them trained herself to be his "hearing aid" dog as he had issues. If I called him for dinner & he didn't get up, she'd bark....knock at the door, same.....phone ring....same. She sensed he didn't hear it and would alert and go to the thing/place needing his attention.

Well, guess Gracie will stay in TX! She have a sister?:rolleyes:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
English Shepherds are know as the "farm dog" or "farm collie". They are considered a collie breed and are 'related' to Australian Shepherds and Border Collies. They are awesome dogs and besides their herding ability they are known to hunt and to be farm guardians.

Here's a good website:

http://www.nesr.info/about-english-shepherd-breed.php

I was very lucky to find Gracie - she was the last pup of her litter and her owner had originally planned on keeping her - but life intervened.

The breed is high energy... chews, digs and in many ways makes me crazy, lol. Then she'll turn around and read my mind like she did today and then I love her even more! Best thing I can say about her is that she is scary smart...like the smartest dog I've ever owned and I've owned a bunch over the years.

She just finished her first heat cycle and I may consider breeding her on her next heat cycle. Maybe... She's still very much a puppy in some ways but is growing up fast.

Last edited:

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would be so tempted to get a hound. My 8 year old wants one and I could use some coon control, which I think would help me on my poultry projects, as well as my orchard, but I think I will wait until at least one of my dogs dies before getting another.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, just "shepherd" not "spaniel".....similar looks/coloring to the Bernese Mt dogs. A friend found a 1.5 mixed at shelter in NY couple months ago. said after 2 wks of orientation, he was tops!

Will lean that way for next year. Molly is now 10 but, in good health....good social with other dogs.

I love a hound dog on the porch...:D Beverly Hillbilly style.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whatever the breed - you just can't beat a good dog! As a child I used to hear the hunters running their coon hounds at night. I love the sound of those dogs!

Gracie is a sable/white - but if I breed her I'll look for a black/white or a tri-color. Just an idea right now -I'm afraid it will be quite a hunt for a suitable male.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
glad to hear your gracie is working out so well. how old is she now? my jj is just 4 months old now and is indeed so smart. so far she is afraid of or at least very respectful of the sheep and goats and stays out of their way and is really good with the chickens and ducks. I've had several aussies over the years but this is my first English shepherd and i really love her. she is black and tan like her daddy and her grown up hair is finally coming in and is so soft and shiny and starting to wave. @Mini Horses you should also check out the English shepherd rescue group. a rescue in Missouri is where JJ came from.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gracie is not quite a year old. She has a birthday in January. Just today she got the opportunity to move some chickens out of the yard. She attacks all jobs with so much enthusiasm - and that enthusiasm is what she needs to learn to control, lol. But, I see improvement with every herding chance that she has.

Today she actually listened to my 'advice' and slowed down. She got those chickens right out of the yard and came running back to me with so much joy in her eyes. She absolutely lives to hear 'good dog'!

My mom was back in the hospital Monday, but just an overnight visit because she was dehydrated. She FINALLY has decided that she and dad will go to an assisted living facility. Whew! It just had to be her decision and this last health scare was what made her decide. It'll make my life hell for awhile getting everything done...but it will be worth it just to get them to a safe place without a fight. She even told me that she's giving me power of attorney, and putting me on her bank accounts. Wow - what a turn around! I just hope (knock on wood) that nothing changes her mind again...

I'll be taking Christmas dinner down to them and my son and his wife will be coming along. Mom wants to give my son some of her things before they sell the house. Fingers crossed that all of this goes well.

And the best news of all - I'm getting my grandkids the day after Christmas and keeping them until New Years! Woo -hoo!

Couple of the goat gals are starting to get pretty round. I shouldn't have anything due until March - but it'll be here before I know it. I can't wait!

And - hatched out some more stinking chickens. I wasn't gonna do it, but somehow those eggs jumped right into the incubator so I have 11 new Ameraucana chicken nuggets.

Happy Wednesday ya'll!

Latest posts