Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Aw poor little guy! That's no fun. I'm sure he's way more comfortable now, and its best that it happens early rather than having him suffer longer. Sweet dream for you to remember him by.
So glad you're ok despite the rain! We could use a LITTLE... I wouldn't complain if some of this pollen were knocked down!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Saw this and had to share it!

Tied to the Farm.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, I like that explanation! They just forgot to mention how we are also tied to the love they give back & sustenance they provide. Farm life is multi dimensional, not "just" all work... (but, a whole lot of work :celebrate... free gym membership?)

Alas, I have TWO broodies now. Guess they just wanted company. Since I didn't get out for those eggs, I'll need more now. Roosters I have here are NOT with my hens yet. Some are too young for sex anyway. :p

hqueen13

Reaction score
That's a cool statement! :) Sometimes I wish I weren't tied so tightly, but that'll change in the future I am sure!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes they forgot to mention the rewards if this lifestyle. And sometimes, just sometimes it does provide a good excuse for getting out of something you really didn't want to do any way, lol.

Like today- I couldn't have done anything off farm because of more births. Delivered the first this morning before 8. This was the one I had been the most worried about and I was right to have worried. This little tiny doe who I would never have chosen to breed, had a single buckling. Head only presentation and it was pretty rough. I got him out but he worried me for a bit. I'm always amazed at the resilience of these little critters cuz he's up and doing well. Mama is going to have some swelling and soreness for a few days but she should bounce back just fine.

Waiting on another birth right now. Fingers crossed that it's less drama!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks MH! And congrats on the broodies!

Whew-color me exhausted! The other doe finally delivered at11pm. It's been a long day. I woulda swore that this doe would have trips at least- but 'only' twins- b/d. Still have at least 3 more does to go....argh! Probably next weekend for them.

I'm starting to figure out the keepers and the leavers. Gonna be some tough decisions for sure.

I'm gonna finish this glass of wine and turn in.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Sounds like all is well even if it was tough for a while! Glad to hear it... still waiting on pics!! :pop

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know, I've been negligent and slow getting them here .... so here ya go!

This is one of Cocoa's (Kinder) kids. This year's litter is second generation Kinder. She has a solid colored doeling off being independent somewhere. Cocoa is an awesome milker and last year gave almost a gallon at peak...hoping for that, or more, this year. Considering keeping the doeling.

cocoa's boy.jpg

This little guy is from another Kinder doe (Splash)- bred to a full Nubian (shhh, it was an uh-oh breeding that turned out pretty good) p.s. Look at Cocoa's udder in the background...sheeesh!

dapple buckling.jpg

Next is one of Red's triplets. She gave me nothin' but COLOR again this year!

red trip.jpg

This precious little Nigi baby wants to play with the big babies. Only a couple weeks difference in ages, but a world of difference in size. 'Course that baby was only about a lb. when born!

nigi girl.jpg

There! I've got my hands full this year. Spent most of yesterday re-worming some of the mama's and giving Replamin to every one I could catch. Finally seeing some improvements in the herd - but not where I want them yet. Need to catch all the babies and give them a round of Toltrazuril. Some of them have already had one dose and it's time for a second. Worst problem this year is LICE - ICK! I've been dusting babies and the barn regularly so I'm keeping 'em in check - but I HATE THEM!

Whole place is wet and nasty still - with more rain predicted this week. Yay...not!

We put out a round bale yesterday. I'd like to keep the herd offa the wet grass. Might have to put up another fence to do that. I'm so tired of fighting parasites!

Three does left to kid out and it'll be two FF Nubian's and one Pygmy. :fl:fl:fl