Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You could be right, Deb! So, I added an extra feed pan and problem seems to be solved.

I'm working myself ragged trying to keep all these mama goats & baby goats taken care of these days. I'm doing coccidia prevention, worming, lice treatments, barn dusting/spraying, milking... geeze louise! But, starting next weekend I'll be putting some up for sale. Why do I have such a problem with selling the little ones? I'll show you why!

Meet Hercules:

hercules2.jpg

He is absolutely precious and if he didn't have goobers he'd be staying with me forever. Stupid dangly boy parts! He was born of a doe that is 3/4 Pygmy and 1/4 Nubian who was bred to the Nigerian Dwarf buck. That makes him... ummmm lemme think...3/8's pygmy, 1/8 Nubian and 1/2 Nigerian Dwarf - I think... :hu I have had the cutest stinkin' babies this year - but tooo many little bucklings and WHY are the bucklings the sweetest ones? I mean gee whiz, the only way I could keep one is to wether it - and if I wether it I'm gonna have to eat it....so sell them I must. I guess that just means someone else will eat 'em. The cycle of life I suppose...

Went to see the pups again yesterday and made a choice. I think I'm going to be happy with the pup I picked. We had all the male pups out together and I just observed them for awhile. The sweetest pup kept laying between my feet and chewing on my toes. How could I turn him down???? But, I did. I picked an independent pup that wanted to explore his new surroundings. He was a friendly enough little fella, but he was curious, independent and bold. Just what I'm looking for. I wish I could have waited until they were older, but the sellers want people to pick their pups now. That's NOT how I'll do it if/when I ever have a litter.

Not sure that'll ever happen though... do NOT need anything extra to take care of for a while!

Happy Thursday, ya'll!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wellllll, here are the two finalists:

photo (14).JPG

Puppy on the left was the sweeeeet one! He could not stay off of my feet, lol. They say the puppy picks you - and I hated to disappoint this little guy because he truly did pick me. But, I kept my eye on the prize and picked the dark puppy on the right. He's the one that didn't "need" me. He was completely friendly, but independent and curious about being in a new place. So, first week in June he'll be coming home with me.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He was #5 in the pics? Cute, good choice with independence and all. The tan guy was dozing in the pics & is apparently pretty laid back :p

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are right! I didn't care much for his pic in the earlier shots....but in person ... he was the guy! Yep, the tan pup is a sweetheart, but I don't know if he's going to have the personality that I'm looking for. My present LGD is pretty laid back - she's fierce when she needs to be - but she's more of a 'watcher' than a 'patroller'. The idea behind getting this guy is for her to be able to help with his training while she's still young enough, but he will be there to support her as she ages. I'm acting like she's ancient, lol, but she's not. She's a bit over 6 and really in her prime. But, since it seems to take quite a while for these guys to mature I think the timing is pretty good for getting him now.

I don't know if another dog will EVER be a better LGD than she is - but again - if she can help 'learn' this boy I think I'll have a winner! I expect the regular puppy issues...sigh. But we will see. Maddie was with the stock full-time at 4 months and was awesome....still a pup but mature and trustworthy.

Guess I'll find out if I've made a good decision in due time.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had a pretty good weekend. I worked a half-day Saturday. It was 'reward' day for the students and we took them to Main Event - a local game place with bowling, laser tag and lots of video type games. Went well enough, but after a couple hours in there my head hurts - it's LOUD!

Got home and DH ad I tackled a job we'd been putting off for awhile. We have a drive through gate between the pasture and the front barnyard. We haven't driven though it in years. As a result of not being opened more than a couple feet for walking through or barely wide enough for a garden cart, it's grown up and had gotten to where it would not open all the way. It took the tractor, a shovel, a rake and lots and lots of sweat to free up that gate. But, it's done now.

AND - drum roll please - we got the new pump motor for the spa ordered. What an ordeal, lol. We had to practically be contortionists to get the model number off the old one and to measure the diameters of the pipes to make sure we got all the correct sizes. Hopefully, I can bribe my son to do the actual removal and replacement.

Had to race the rain to get yard work done. I got the front, side and back yard all done in less than an hour...but I was working in the rain at the end. I was going so fast I was holding on for dear life, lol. I was afraid I'd sling myself right off the seat.

We butchered three roosters this morning, before the rain, and one of 'em has been simmering all day with lots of onions, garlic, carrots and bay leaves and it smells delish. I've never cooked one the same day we butchered, but it seems to be working out ok. I was afraid he'd be tough, but he's not. These were young birds and I got him in the pot before he started rigor so all is well. I need to pick the meat off the bones of the bird and decide what I'm going to do with him. Not terribly hungry so might just refrigerate him and the broth and make some kick butt soup tomorrow.

Finished feeding early and about to pour a glass of vino and relax.

Happy Sunday, ya'll!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My. Freezer. Door. Got. Left. Open.....

So, I found it open - running - cold inside - but open and EVERY THING is thawed and starting, just starting, to smell off'. GRRRRRRRRRRR! It wasn't 'gag you stinky' but the whole freezer FULL of meat is no longer fit for human consumption. I just closed the door and walked away. I found it Monday...and everything is re-frozen today, BUT, this weekend I'll start pulling the meat out and cooking it up for the dogs, chickens, hogs... DANG IT!

The seal on the door has been weak for some time and I'm always careful when I shut it, so I don't know how it got left open for several days. I'm sure it's DH's fault...that's right....I'll blame it on him! LOL Eh, really doesn't even matter how it happened - it happened.

I want a new freezer anyway. But, I probably should investigate re-placing the seal. It would be the SS thing to do. But, this freezer is 20+ years old and I could probably get a more energy efficient one....that's SS too, right?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, newer ones more energy efficient. Besides, the dang gasket will be hard to find and expensive, not to mention the hassle of install. Now, if it was bad, may not have been DH (gonna defend him) may have just collapsed enough to allow heavy door to open. I'd say, BIG BBQ to cook it all. You can then re-freeze cooked to allow slower use of the meats.

If it isn't a chest type--prob not-- consider that. They are supposed to be more efficient as less cold escapes when opened. BUT they are less easy to get to things!! Experience speaks. LOL. I have a small chest type, inexpensive and works great!