Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need that!! Why don't I have one????? :(

Glad to see you've still got power. Is your area expected to lose it?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It's not on here. And yep, we're expected to lose our power.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I almost hate to say anything about the beautiful weather we've been having when there's so much devastation from Hurricane Sandy. But, we've had a most pleasant couple of days. However, it has been pretty nippy during the morning milkings and the girls have not been too fond of the cold udder wipes. I try to warm them in my hands first, but then my hands get cold, lol. It's quite a sight to carry in a steaming bucket of milk.

I had to smack the stuffing out of one of the piggies today. They like me, a lot - I think they think I'm mama and they just don't give me no respect, lol. One of 'em got a feed bucket smacked across his head today when he tried to insert my leg into his mouth. There was no aggressiveness in his actions, just a piglet being a piglet - but they're probably pushing 50 lbs now and I can't have that kind of behavior.

I moved their new feeder into their pen last night, put feed in it and watched them totally ignore it. They know how to use the feeder - they opened it several times and nosed around in the feed, but they just weren't interested. They love, love, love their wet/fermented feed full of milk and eggs. Can't say that I blame them, but they've gotta learn to eat dry feed because we have several trips planned. Guess when they get hungry they'll eat it.

I've got broccoli and greens coming up in the garden, but the lettuce doesn't seem to be cooperating. I want to try to re-plant a few things this weekend, if I can find the time. I'm working another fund-raiser on Saturday, and I'd like to visit my parents for a couple hours also.... there are simply not enough hours in the day....grrrrrr!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
As someone told me, a man works from sun to sun, but a woman's work is never done. So, why hurry? :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, crazy day here. DH was contacted by a company that would like to steal him away from his current job - at quite a substantial salary increase. Good news, I guess. The down side is that it would be a 90 minute commute each way. Move? NOOOOOO... cuz I don't want to give up my piddly little job that dosn't make 1/4 of his salary. Am I a dumba$$ or what? But, my job is secure and will give us Teachers Retirement. The best part of that is that we can keep insurance 4-ever. That's so important with his health problems. Sooooo....

Next bit of news - my daughter lost her job today. She's 28 years old, in the midst of a divorce, and has three kids. She's a paralegal. She left a good job with an established firm to help two lawyer "friends" start a new firm. Guess what? When the going got tough in the new firm - the two friends fired her to save money. The two attorney's she was working for are both fresh out of law school - she's got 10 years experience in her field and she trained THEM. They wouldn't listen to her and basically blew through a million dollars in about 6 months - spending indiscriminately and continuing to spend almost 10K a month on advertising when they had clients walking in the door every day. She told them they needed to back off on the spending - so they did - by laying her off. What a really nice way to repay her, huh?

I'm royally pi$$ed off, but I'm hoping that this door closing will turn into another door opening. She lives almost 4 hours away and I tried really hard today to convince her to move back to the Houston area. The job market is better here, and she'd have MEEEEEE to fall back on! I neeeeeeeeed to spend more time with my grandbabies! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Not much else to report on. Pigs are eating good, goats are giving lots of milk, and the hens are out-producing themselves. For the most part - life is good. There are always bumps in the road and my daughter is tough - she will get through this.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
If they're going to do stupid things like that, they won't survive long, so she might be better off in the long run.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your daughter's situation :hugs Hopefully she finds a good job, close to you, so you can get your much needed grandkid time! Yay on the new job for hubby, I think :lol: Keeping a low pay/excellent benefit job isn't crazy - I know several people who do that! Maybe, if it gets to be too much of a drive for him, you could consider finding a place that splits the difference? :hu