Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - I'm all about working smarter not harder these days.

Managed to get 4 more doelings separated from their mama's yesterday. Milked the doe whose triplets I separated and she was mighty glad to get rid of that load, lol. I also wormed her yesterday so the pigs will be getting her milk for awhile.

Tomorrow I'll get the little bucklings separated too. Then I'll have two more does to milk - Yippee!

Got some bacon in the oven that was getting close to the 'use by' date. It'll go good in a bacon, egg, cheese breakfast taco. I'll try to make some of those up tomorrow to take some of the pressure off of the early morning breakfast rush.

I think I'll plant some okra when I get a spare minute or two. I've looked at all the areas that usually have volunteers, but I haven't seen any. I've got some seeds, so I'll try to get 'em in the ground. Hopefully I can get a good enough crop to make some "cokra" again this year. Dehydrated okra is soooo good!

Went to see the folks for an early Fathers day visit. It was nice and they're doing pretty well, all things considered.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got the three oldest bucklings separated from their mama's. Nobody is happy, but they aren't as whiney as the doelings were/are. They're too tough for that!

Spent a little while trying to groom Maddie. When I say there is white hair all over the place - there is. I need a better brush though. The one I have doesn't get down into her hair very well. I mostly resorted to hand-plucking some of the tufts that are trying to shed. She's a mess!

Cowboy got another lesson in crate-ing. He's learned that AC is a good thing and he sure didn't mind going in today for a little nap. He's finally even starting to figure out that he should pay attention to me.... a little bit... kinda...

I scrambled up a dozen and a half of eggs this morning with onion and red bell pepper, grabbed some tortillas and the bacon that I cooked yesterday and made up a bunch of brkfst tacos. Two of 'em are in the fridge waiting for tomorrow morning and the rest are in the freezer. Grab and go breakfast that's healthier than the drive thru at the donut shop for sure.

Still need to work on the hot tub. Gotta get it cleaned out and refilled. I have missed it. Traditionally we don't use it a lot in the summer, but if we leave the heat turned off - duh!

Have some steaks all seasoned up and ready for the grill. We'll get to that in a bit.

Back at it tomorrow. I love my job, but I want to retire!

Happy Father's Day, ya'll.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I learned a trick from my grooming friend to use one of the carding style combs for the dogs, and take your hand and pull the hair the wrong direction, then start coming it down with the carder. It lets the carding comb get to the bottom of the hair and pull out all that under coat that gets so stuck. I desperately need to groom my dogs, too, I'm wondering if that's why my smaller dog is so grumpy, if he's just too hot right now or something. I might half clip him and see if that helps.
I hear you on the busy... I'm looking forward to relaxing soon! I don't know when, but it has to be soon! LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need to get me one of those! She loves the attention too, so it's a win-win.

I made cheese the other day. It's so stinkin' easy and it's so stinkin' good too!

I use the recipe on the Fiasco Farm website.

http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/chevre.htm

It actually only takes about 5 minutes of 'work'. And that's only adding the culture and the rennet. After that it just sits until it thickens up, drains for awhile and then you add whatever seasonings you want.

And, voila: Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Chevre. Delish!

cheese.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll have to try rosemary. I usually go with garlic and basil...another I tried that was good & colorful, oregano and sun-dried tomatoes.

In a store one day I saw "dried fig & cinnamon". Haven't done that but, sounds like breakfast bagel spread. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love basil...will have to try that... and the sun dried tomatoes. Yummy!

I once added some dried blueberries, but wasn't that fond of it. Maybe I should have sweetened it or something.. or maybe drizzle some honey over it when serving. But, the dried figs/cinnamon sounds good too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Selling two goats earlier this week was so much fun, that I'll be trying to get some good pics of some more so that I can post them. Probably won't go a well as the other ones, because I have a lot of little bucklings to sell and I don't expect them to be such a hot commodity. I can always neuter them and put 'em in the freezer. I have one that's really cute - he's a dapple/moonspotted little guy that I think will go quickly (key word -HOPE). I can always offer to neuter another one to go with him.

Today also started a new round of weaning. The two nigi babies are going to be tough because they can crawl through the holes on the stock panels. I have a couple other places that I could put them, but I want to get them separated from each other since they are boy/girl. I'd rather them stay with other young 'uns that they've been raised with - just separated by gender. We shall see...

My mother called me no less than 10 times yesterday. Bless her heart - she has some days where she can't remember what she said 2 minutes ago. Dad needs to see a dentist and she can't remember who they go to. She DID call the insurance company to see if they had dental coverage - that was a positive step for her. I had to call this morning and get a list of providers that they can use - now it's just picking a dentist for them and hoping I get them a good one.

All this stuff with the folks has got me re-thinking my plan to live to 105, lol. My new words to live by!

upload_2016-6-24_9-55-15.png

Happy Friday, ya'll!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Typical weekend day around here. Kinda low keyed and NO RAIN! It's like a miracle, the kind I could get used to. I put an ad on Craigslist for some baby bucks that I have for sale. Got a call this morning and the guy wanted ALL of them. Yippee.... right? WRONG - he was a no show... Grrrrr! How rude!

Kinda made me want to just keep all the goats. I was ready to make him a really good deal on all 5 of them, but dang, now I'm thinking I can keep 'em and eat em myself before giving them away...ugh!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Like your new "words to live by"..my kind of trip!!

Do you butcher the bucks or take to a slaughter house? I'm looking at 8 and they are getting very well rounded! Thinking BBQ time. GOT to get a pig to butcher & prob 2 bucks, also.