Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The sun will come out tomorrow... la, la la de da tomorrow! She's been through some tough times. She is just one year into a marriage that has seen some challenges. Marriages are hard and neither she nor her husband are perfect. Like I mentioned, there were some financial mix-ups and stuff happened and she has to have transportation - she's got 3 kids an d may be single again soon. :( Since her marriage she's been doing the SAHM thing and I really believe she misses working. She's a paralegal by profession and one of the best...she's got more certifications than a lot of lawyers have. She thrives in her profession and while she's a wonderful mother - she needs those outside challenges. I would actually be thrilled if she moved back here - more grandkid time would be awesome! And, I think the kiddos would thrive here. Stability is a good thing.

So, no fence post pounding today - just a lot of driving. Its about 4 hours to her place and I need to get busy. Long drives can be good for thinking - not so good for the butt/back, lol!

I've gotta get out there and milk before I go. The 'girls' will probably wonder why they're being milked in the morning instead of evening, but it'll keep them from being overfilled by the time I get back tomorrow afternoon.

Happy Saturday, ya'll!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the "sandwich" generation. It is tough to juggle elder parents, grown (?) kids and your own life. The farm work adds responsibility but, often is the only release/quiet time/happy time you have. :hugs

Yes, I prefer chicken salad - thank you!

We got her truck delivered to her. It was one of those kind of awkward visits because her hubby was there talking rather flippantly about divorce. Geeze! So, I gave them the ' nobody is perfect, forgiveness is a virtue' mama talk while actually thinking quietly to myself that I don't know if they can survive this... Only time and God know the answer to that one.

I mentioned a couple days ago that it's been a bad week to be a goat at my house. I lost a doe last weekend. A young, healthy appearing yearling doe. I had gone out last Saturday morning and noticed that she had diarrhea. Did my usual protocol - locked her in a pen with no feed, no grass - just water and hay. Gave her a worming and coccidia treatment and checked on her several times that day and poo was tightening up. She was up and antsy and wanted out, but I kept her up for 36 hours and let her out Sunday afternoon. Still gave her no access to feed, but she was back on browse and hay. She was buttin heads and acting a fool so I considered her on the road to recovery. Monday when I got home from work she was dead. I feel so bad... I ASSumed she was better. She looked better, she acted better but obviously she wasn't.

Went through the next week keeping an eagle eye on everyone and got home from work Thursday and a buckling was dead. No diarrhea, no signs of illness or injury - just dead. My guess on him is that it wasn't the same issue - this little guy can sneak in and out of every pen because he's so tiny - my guess is he simply ate everyone elses feed and bit the dust. There was never an inkling that he was ill. I feed every morning before I go to work - but I feed in the dark. I know he was fine Thursday morning because I tripped over him as he was running and bouncing around and trying to jump in my lap even when I wasn't sitting down. I miss his antics.

Moving on.... woke up Friday morning and two young does (4 months) had the squirts. WHAT THE HECK is going on here? So, again, I tossed them in a pen (different pen) and waited for a poop. I am trying to do my own fecals, but don't really trust myself yet. I literally couldn't see anything that I could identify so I ran more poop up to the vet to have them do a fecal. No wonder I couldn't find anything - vet found 1, yes ONE, strongyle egg. Plan B - start them on a scour stop type med in their water - gave them both an injection of LA200 - electrolytes, probiotics... Had to go out of town Saturday to deliver the truck so I just crossed my fingers and prayed. Guess it worked. They never really looked 'sick' except for their dirty butts - but they look good and they hate me cuz they're hungry, lol. I gave them a tiny bit of grain this morning so we'll see how they do with that. :fl

Hope they continue to improve cuz I'm TIRED of all this mess (both literally and figuratively) in my life!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wine! Yes, I need a glass of wine, thanks for the reminder. It's only been sitting in there for 4-5 months..... I am such a heavy drinker. LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely! Wine (and whine) works for me, lol!

Sometimes MOM has to ride to the rescue.

Ya know - I'm not one of those folks who thinks my responsibility to my children ended when they reached 18. There are circumstances beyond their control sometimes and when there are grandchildren involved I would NEVER be able to live with myself if I didn't do all I could for all of them. I have always tried to help people who need help. I help perfect strangers so why would I NOT help my own child?

Ok, better stop now or I will rant for hours!

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We moved so we could be close to our DD and family. We are so glad that we did, we are able to help them out and they sure appreciate it. And I agree with you, you don't cut your kids off at age 18.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We moved so we could be close to our DD and family

I thought about that when my daughter moved to Austin. But, then over the next 9 years she moved to Round Rock, Lakeway, Pflugerville, Natalia, San Antonio, Allen, and now Harker Heights.... Geeze, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OMG! Came home from work and had a buck out....grrrrrrrr! I am soooooo not ready for this! Thankfully, it looked like he was just 'out' because I didn't see him after any of the girls. But, I'm seeing a few of the gals starting to flag their tails...it's TOO EARLY FOR RUT!