Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ROOSTER SALAD

Boil (simmer) one dead rooster, preferably cleaned, all afternoon until meat falls from bone.

Debone the meat, toss bones to dogs that are drooling all over the kitchen floor, watching your every move with intent stare.

Cut the meat into bite size pieces, or for ya'll that barely chew and wolf it down like the dogs do, half bite size pieces.

Chop 2 stalks of celery.

1/2 cup chopped pecans or your favorite nuts.

1/2 pound seedless grapes, cut in half.

A glop or two of mayonaise, just enough to hold it all together.

Chill and serve. Makes great sandwiches!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule YUMMY! Chicken salad is just about my favorite comfort food - and if you want to step it up a notch - serve it on those Hawaiian rolls that just melt in your mouth!

I'm sure hoping it doesn't rain toooo much this weekend. Geeze, I'd hate to havta butcher them things in the house, lol. But, I'm that tired of them.

Gonna have to watch the weather reports and plan accordingly!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do my salad similar but often use PLAIN greek yogurt. Little more moisture, less fat, tastes good....I add pepper, couple shakes of garlic powder.

Oh, I have 2 roos that are facing the pot, also!! But was more important to build & place the needed chicken tractor huts, move the pigs to their new location .... they did NOT want to stay there.
Very home bound :cool: I moved their hut there, so now they feel a little bit better. :hu Still not settled in.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - I'll give it a try. In my 'low-fat' days I would use the plain yogurt in place of sour cream and in salad dressings... I need to get back to that. Even more - I need to get back to making my own yogurt. So much to do - so little time...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been an interesting week. But, I'm pleased to announce that we've had more rain...yay! ugh

Been thinking about picking up rye grass seed as I usually do every fall. I'm a little concerned because the grass is so lush right now. I generally just walk around the pasture and toss the seeds out in the bare spots that we usually have from the heat of summer. Ummmm, not too many bare spots out there now. My broadcast method might not work real well this year. Sigh.... I'll still give it a shot because eventually this heat and rain is going to stop - right?

Several weeks ago I worked a Saturday so I earned a day off during the week....so I took my day off Friday to take Cowboy to the vet. Detailed account on BYH about the challenges of that day! Not going to repeat it here...takes too much out of me, lol.

He really is growing up to be a great dog. He's 65 lbs at 5 months old. Crazy how he's growing. He grabs Gracie by the collar and drags her around the pasture just for fun. If she gets away from him - he grabs her tail. He's still such a puppy. As rough as he plays with Gracie - he's just that gentle with his goats. I was doing some worming the other day and as soon as I grabbed them he was right there in their face trying to lick and kiss them.

DH has a doc appt. next week that I may try to accompany him to. He's had some leg swelling and dizzy spells that have us both a little worried. He even fell in the garage yesterday when he went to stand up. He's a little stiff and has a not so nice scrape/contusion on one knee. It sucks....

Gonna watch the Texans game a little later so I better get outside and get my morning chores done before it gets too hot.

Happy Sunday, ya'll. Go TEXANS!
The guinea sow is really starting to balloon out and I see the beginning of udder building. (is it called udder in pigs?) Sure hope I have her date right. I THINK she's due the first week of November...but the boar was actually with her 3 weeks before that. I thought when the boar broke out 3 weeks later it was because she didn't 'catch' from his first visit. BUT, it could be that he bred mama first and came back 3 weeks later to breed the younger gilt. Guess I need to get her put up early, just in case.

If it ever cools down I have so may projects I need to take care of.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope the Dr can find out what is causing your DH's problem. I am a big proponent of "if it's broke, fix it". :lol: Since we moved a year and half ago, my DH has had a triple bypass and complete
right knee replacement. In a week, he goes for complete right shoulder replacement. He has lost weight, though I don't recommend the surgery diet, he is healthier then he has been in years. One more surgery to go, then maybe he can reduce the meds he is on to just his 2 heart meds.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule - Geeze, you know how it is too! In the last two years DH has had a terrible car accident, and 6 months after that triple bypass heart surgery. Before that it was a motorcycle wreck, and Diabetic Keto Acidosis - twice. I swear he's trying to get away from me and I just won't let him, lol!

He/we want to retire...but we're putting it off for a couple more years. Maybe... We could do it now, but being poor gets old quick. It's do-able, but if I have the choice I'd rather have a bit of an easier time. Just paying for his meds would break the bank... And, I enjoy being able to help our folks and our kids...

So, we'll keep fighting the fight for a few more years.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When you retire, make it the right time for you. Get your ducks lined up in a row and you'll know when it is right. My husband is 71 and finally stopped working when we moved here 1 1/2 years ago. He liked what he did and living in town, he would have been bored to death.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule - I am working on it!! :) (Some depends on DH's health status. Might be that he retires before me OR might be that my job ends sooner than I expect. Being grant funded is always a toss up. We rewrite our grant proposal every 5 years and this is a re-write year. I'm not terribly worried about refunding - but there's always a chance that the Dept. of Ed will decide to use their money elsewhere.) But, we are thinking about it and working toward it every day! It would help if our children would think the same way. They need to put their hands in their pockets and quit holding them out to me asking me to fill them! ARGH! I remind them that every time I give them money it means that I have less for retirement and that it means more time they will have to devote to wiping my..... nose, lol! But, whatcha gonna do?

Had a busy weekend and did nothing SS all weekend, but even better - we squeezed grandbabies! Met DD's new squeeze and his two children - WOW! Five kiddos in the house = lots of fun and lots of chaos! And, I loved it!

Came home to rain..actually had rain in Killeen and half the way home...and more rain when we got here. Nothing like putting on those mud boots when you haven't had to wear them in ... oh... at least... a week.:he

Still haven't bred any does. Would it be horrible if I didn't? Nah... got a couple that I absolutely MUST breed. But, gonna try to keep the number low.

I'm milking three does right now and want to breed at least two of them. They are such nice does and such nice milkers that I have to try to keep those lines going.

Ready to butcher some stinkin' pigs! Gals are bred (1 for sure, one maybe) soooooo.... don't need these boys. Original plan was to breed the gals to one of the boars and then butcher him and keep the other. Might still do that - or might butcher both boars. Depends on how much they pi$$ me off in the next month or so.

Gotta find food... Happy Sunday Ya'll!