Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well.......bucks will be bucks!! :p They will be fine with a nice square bale in a holder, vice a round. AND the FEL will handle that just fine!

Ankle wrapped? :hide Sorry about the re-injury. Makes healing difficult.

Today I had told DD I would go to help get up a tree someone at work had given her, had come down in hurricane. Nice big oak AND someone had cut it up for the lady. :bow So after I fed, etc., got a doe out of a fence, & so on -- we drove an hr and loaded for another couple, back home & unload. Will need to make another run to get the other 1/2 but, needs more cutting to handle (the trunk). It has to dry but will ensure we don't have to hunt for wood next year. Some will be ok for very late winter this year if she splits it right away. We have another tree, already down a year, to pick up next week....so good for finishing out needs for this winter, with what she already has. She burns evenings & weekends when really cold to offset heater use, electric.

After loading (some trunk pieces it took BOTH of us to roll up ramp onto trailer) and unloading....stacking....I'm not really interested in doing much else. But she asks me for very little help, so glad to be there. We're renting a splitter to get it all done fast after next tree home! :clap
Now, almost dinner for me....animals all fed.:old

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes ma'am, foot is wrapped! ;) DH bought me an ankle support, but it's too big and it's really NOT my ankle that hurts. And NOW, just for grins, my back is complaining. Geeze louise - what else?!! I'll be sucking down a muscle relaxer shortly. I hate them, they make me fuzzy and sleepy and weirded out - but the anti-inflammatory I've been taking needs some back-up.

Good score on the wood - even better that it was cut up!

We were back in the 90's today. When is this madness going to end??? Well, if you believe the forecasters we're supposed to get some coolness Thursday. I hope they're right. Calling for temps in the low 70's. Whoop, whoop!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We didn't bust 90, but got close, 89 degrees. I sowed rye grass seed and was hot, sweaty, dirty and tired. Can't wait for rain to make the grass grow!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It was 75 here today :) about 65 out there now & will drop to upper 50s by sunrise. Nice. Low humidity, also. Rare.

After all the rain from Mathew last week we sure needed some drying. I cut grass all day yesterday. Tall stuff!! Still have to buy winter hay -- really irks me as I cut o_O:he

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We will be flirting with record highs for a couple days and then - cool bliss to follow! Woohoo - supposed to top out in the low 70's towards the end of the week! Yay!

Drug myself out of bed this morning with DH telling me to stay home - but why? I'd hurt at home or at work - so why not at least get paid for being miserable! ;)

I'll work on the hay feeder for the bucks in a few days...most likely the weekend. I've gotta get the pigs out of the new buck pen - which is the old boar pen. They didn't appreciate the change of residence!

Doc appt. this afternoon... oh joy!

Happy Monday, ya'll!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was that annoying, happy, whistling or humming a tune, bounce off the walls bundle of energy on Monday mornings that everyone else loved to hate. My answer to them? What if it was Monday morning and you didn't HAVE a job? How happy would you be then?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What if it was Monday morning and you didn't HAVE a job? How happy would you be then?

Amen, sistah! :) I always say that if you have to have a job - I've got one of the best. Love what I do, love my co-workers, and most of the time - I love the students....okay, most of them, some of them, a few of them... :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm not exactly a teacher... even though I do substitute within our program. No teacher credentials, but there are just three of us that run a unique program so we all wear a lot of hats. My real day to day work is keeping the budget...a numbers person. :he Not a math person - just a numbers person, lol!

I work at a college with a Department of Education funded grant. We identify and recruit high school kids who have potential, but maybe not the support system to get them through high school and to graduate college. We are kind of, sort of, a college prep program for kids who would never have that opportunity. We run a year round program and have 63 students at any given time. Most of our students start with us as freshmen and stay until they graduate, but we occasionally take an older student. As they graduate high school, we replace them with new students.

During the school year we offer tutoring 4 days a week at the college. We offer Saturday activities at least once a month that run the gamut of things like visits to colleges all over the state, community service projects, and cultural activities. During the summer the students come to a six-week intensive program that brings them on the college campus every day and give them a head start on their next year's academics. We hand-pick awesome instructors who make that 6 week fun for the kids...and once a week during that six weeks we do a college visit. We've visited the Trophy Room at University of Texas and have seen all the Heisman trophies that reside there. My UT alumni DH is sooooo jealous of that, lol. We went on Kyle field at A & M where I secretly did the UT Longhorn symbol behind my back, lol. We even visited a chiropractic college and were invited in their cadaver lab - THAT was a unique experience.

It's a little scary that my job depends on the performance of high school students, but it does. Every year we do a huge federal report that takes us Forever and it reports on every achievement and accomplishment that these kids do. We are required to have a certain percentage of our students reach a certain GPA, a percentage of our graduates must enroll in college in fall of their graduating year, another percentage has to persist in college classes....

We've been doing this since 2003 and we still keep in touch with a lot of our graduates. Every year we have a Recognition Dinner to reward the students at the end of summer and a large percentage of our former grads come back every year. It's a really great program and I'm lucky to be a part of it.

Do I love my job or what?? :weee YEP!

Oh, the doc appointment was so much fun - NOT! I'm now wearing an orthopedic boot and have an MRI coming up. Yea...