Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My friend rarely has to help his pigs. I'm hoping the one we have ends up being easy like that! We do know a guy who had to pull piglets because his sow kept killing them (and eating them) as they were coming out. He sent her to sausage and bottle fed the babies. Nasty sow.

Some of our friends are selling their AGH's because the wife is having health issues and is the primary chore person in the house. So tempting! They're going to be downsizing their goats too eventually so I'm going to hold out til they start selling pygmies. I need those more than more pigs!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I watched a video that was very similar - might have been the same one. But you're right - no mama getting up and nuzzling or licking her babies. Piglets did it all. I've heard before that they do get 'trancelike' when they're delivering. Just hope I'm here for the show!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We do know a guy who had to pull piglets because his sow kept killing them (and eating them) as they were coming out. He sent her to sausage and bottle fed the babies. Nasty sow.

That's awful. I'm really hoping/planning/expecting/hoping... that this goes so much better! She's farrowed once before, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll do well this time.

Woohoo on getting a pygmy! Hope you get a really nice one. I think I'm about to put two more does with my pygmy buck just because I need so many more babies, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She was a first timer and not as friendly as yours, I'm sure! I have heard of it happening before but I doubt it happens as often with AGH's.

Yes I want a pygmy buck badly! I'm breeding really random mixes here lol and some purebred Nigies. I really want to breed my Mini alpines to a pygmy. I think I'd end up with decent meat wethers and maybe even keep a doelings cause I think it would be cute (bad reason? Perhaps? Lol)

So... How many does have you bred?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've orchestrated the breeding of 8 does at this time - but there was the day that the bucks all got out... not sure how many were involved in THAT fiasco, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ms Piggy is getting lazier by the day. Today she had a hard time getting out of her wallow... I had visions of needing the tractor and some straps to lift her out of there, lol! Poor pigs - here it is almost November and we're still in the high 80's. Geeze louise! I'm kind of ok with it though because I really would have a hard time getting supplemental heat to the potential piglets right now - so warmth is a blessing in disguise for the upcoming farrowing. However, by the end of this week, which will be her first possible due date, it is supposed to cool off just a bit. Wish this bi-polar weather would make up it's mind.

Saw the doc today and she said just what I thought she would say. And. I'm. Not. Happy. About. It.

Bluntly put - surgery for the torn tendon or live with it. I have no problems walking on flat smooth ground...hardly limp at all. Problem is that I don't live my life on flat smooth ground.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Get it fixed. Do what you gotta do to heal up and get on with life. Don't let this linger on and on. Just fix it. Since we moved, DH has had his share of surgeries and still shoulder replacement to go. He starts whining and I tell him that we're fixing all his broken parts so we can get on with living.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ouch!! So where is the tendon ripped? Is it outpatient surg?

Yep, I'm with Bay--do it. Merry Christmas (you do have a long break from work then, right?) then will be all healed up by the kidding & garden time. What a plan!!!:celebrate

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chapter 1:
It's the "peroneal brevis" tendon. There are two peroneal tendens...one is the longus and the other is the brevis. The problem I have committing to the surgery is that a torn peroneal brevis is reported to cause severe pain the area of the ankle and hind foot. I have pain there maybe once a day, first thing in the morning, and no more. The MRI didn't seem to point out how badly it is torn. And, while the tendon may 'heal' sort of...it will not re-shape itself back to it's original round form without surgical intervention. And the original form is what works the best. The split is lengthwise which causes the tendon to flatten out.

Chapter 2:
Besides the tendon tear, the MRI also showed severe tendonitis in both of those tendons. Both of these tendons originate low on the outside of the leg, run under the ankle and then split about halfway down your foot. The brevis tendon, at it's far end, attaches to the little toe, the longus tendon runs from the middle outside of your foot and it crosses under the arch of the foot and attaches to the big toe. This anatomy lesson (brought to you by the color yellow, lol) was to explain that my pain is further down my foot - away from the ankle. Seems to me that the tendonitis is causing my pain and tendonitis isn't helped by surgery. I hate to think of going through this surgery with a 4 - 6 month recovery when I'm not sure that it will 'cure' my pain!

So, I'm embarking on a mission. I'm going to spend a couple of weeks babying this foot. Doing ice and heat alternatively, elevating it, keeping a light compression bandage on and seeing if I can knock out the tendonitis. THEN I'll decide on the surgery.

And, yes, the timing would be perfect if I decide to do it. I'd pick the Monday after Thanksgiving. I could take a mere 12 days of sick leave and actually have 6 weeks off. But, I'm not gonna have a surgery just because the timing is right, lol. I've got tons of sick time built up and I can take it whenever I need.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Appreciate all opinions and ideas, for sure.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds plausible that the tendonitis is causing as much pain as the tear -- alone it can be quite painful! Are you taking anything for the inflammation? Obviously a tendon can "heal" but not always like it was originally. Like a broken bone in that respect, will heal but maybe not straight, etc. Then, depending on how "off" it is and how much scar tissue, well the issues can be there or not.

Does DH have any input?

No doubt I have an ankle and now a knee that has been "torn" in there....:hu .... both still working, ankle fine. Knee area isn't the cap or bone but the support at outside/backish. Like I know when it is not 'working" right -- no pain but, like "something" doesn't want to support it's share. Weird but, I can feel it. Vet wrap and go. Seems to be doing ok of late. Takes time for those things to heal with constant use. Wrap support helps tremendously for me, keeps things lined up it seems.:idunno

Hope you get everything feeling better.:hugs